Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals w/ cats and torque arm relocation

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True duals w/ cats and torque arm relocation

I read through most of the true dual sticky above, but still wasn't able to find much info on true dual setups with torque arm relocation kits. I plan on going with a set of American Racing headers and a custom set of stainless steel, mandrel bent true duals, and would like to retain cats if at all possible. Looking at pictures of installed torque arm relocation braces, it looks like it's going to be hard enough to get the true duals bent, much less being able to squeeze a set of cats in there but, but is it possible, and more importantly, have any of you done it? It seems like it would be easier to do running an H-pipe setup over an X, which I'm not at all opposed to.

For the power level my car's currently at, torque arm relocation is entirely unnecessary, but since I'm already replacing everything suspension and chassis wise from the transmission back, I'd rather install everything now before I get my exhaust fabbed up instead of risk getting it done now only to find out a torque arm, relocation kit, etc won't fit later.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by csxfbird
I read through most of the true dual sticky above, but still wasn't able to find much info on true dual setups with torque arm relocation kits. I plan on going with a set of American Racing headers and a custom set of stainless steel, mandrel bent true duals, and would like to retain cats if at all possible. Looking at pictures of installed torque arm relocation braces, it looks like it's going to be hard enough to get the true duals bent, much less being able to squeeze a set of cats in there but, but is it possible, and more importantly, have any of you done it? It seems like it would be easier to do running an H-pipe setup over an X, which I'm not at all opposed to.

For the power level my car's currently at, torque arm relocation is entirely unnecessary, but since I'm already replacing everything suspension and chassis wise from the transmission back, I'd rather install everything now before I get my exhaust fabbed up instead of risk getting it done now only to find out a torque arm, relocation kit, etc won't fit later.
First thing I would attempt is estimate the maxium power level you want to attain and then make a phone call the TQ mfg's and get their opinion as to which TQ is actually needed for your power level.

You might find that a TQ that is a clam shell design will work along with the piece that bolts to your undercarriage for the hp level you want. If you get that type then duals will not be an issue as there isn't any brace hanging down to interfere with the duals. I replaced my Spohn with the type below.

http://www.umiperformance.com/2205?category_id=130

I replaced the stock crossmember with a Yank crossmember. See pic.

http://www.converter.cc/crossmembers/

Attached is a pic showing my previous TQ with ARH and cats. This is a Spohn tq and as you can see there is plenty of clearance for a single 3 inch - but not sure if one could squeeze two 2.5 inch pipes in there however.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

I removed the Spohn and replaced with an adjustable UMI along with a Yank crossmember. It is much quieter than the Spohn, but not nearly as quiet as the stock clam shell type.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 06-08-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

The torque arm relocation kit won't effect your clearance for the exhaust set-up. Our relocation kits do not take up much more room and they bolt into the same location as the factory transmission crossmember. I do recommend like you said and have the relocation kit installed before doing the exhaust. This way the exhaust place can work around it for a guaranteed fit.

If you have any additional questions please ask. Thank you!

Ryan