Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator HELP!!!!!

I pulled off my old alternator and the damn connector that plugs into the top broke (actually the wire broke). What the hell do i do now?
Old 06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your old connector to a parts store and they should have a "help" section....you should be able to find a new connector with a few inches of new wire on it to replace what broke.

I know Advance Auto parts and Pep Boys have those sections and they're pretty helpful.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a lot. This is my daily driver so im trying to get this done today after work. Anyone else?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the dealership and get a new one. They'll give you one with 4 wires, just cut the ones you don't need. It will be between 20-30 bucks. I got mine at Ancira when I did the same thing while I was in S.A. for an event at SAR...................
Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

That wire from the dealer is actually about 60 bucks now. I was shocked. Go on ebay and search for an exciter wire. They are available shipped to your door for 12 bucks. I just replaced mine for the same reason.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Take your old connector to a parts store and they should have a "help" section....you should be able to find a new connector with a few inches of new wire on it to replace what broke.

I know Advance Auto parts and Pep Boys have those sections and they're pretty helpful.
OP, NAPA has the connector with wires for $16.00. PLEASE do not cut anything, ask for a Metripak pin tool (~ $5.00), pull your wires from the old connector and plug them into the new connector. You can even experiment pulling wires on the new connector. Be sure to note where the wires go before removing them!

Russ
Old 06-09-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Thx a lot fellas. I found the connector locally at an alternator shop for $17. Hooked up perfectly and new alternator is running strong. Thank goodness for lifetime warranty on my alternator.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Well damn my car was doing fine till this past Friday when it almost left me stranded on the freeway during 5 o'clock traffic. My voltage gauge was all the way down, but luckily I was able to roll into a autozone (literally) and they told me my battery was done. I changed the battery and now my dumbass car is reading low (in the red)on the voltage gauge. I dont know if my cars struggling to autozone ruined my alternator and now i need another one or what? No to up on electronics. Please help. I'm gonna put another alternator on this weekend and see if that was the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on my situation.

TIA
Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quickneSS
Well damn my car was doing fine till this past Friday when it almost left me stranded on the freeway during 5 o'clock traffic. My voltage gauge was all the way down, but luckily I was able to roll into a autozone (literally) and they told me my battery was done. I changed the battery and now my dumbass car is reading low (in the red)on the voltage gauge. I dont know if my cars struggling to autozone ruined my alternator and now i need another one or what? No to up on electronics. Please help. I'm gonna put another alternator on this weekend and see if that was the problem. Just wanted to see if anyone has any insight on my situation.

TIA
They should be able to test the alt to see if its ok or not.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it off and get it tested like blanco said. They'll be able to tell you if its dead or not.

Many times dead batteries kill alt.'s b/c while the batt. is dying the alt. gets killed trying to keep up for having no battery.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Where did u buy the alternator from? I ask cause ive had a bad
experience with Autozones alternators, they tend to take a dump
and drain the battery after a couple of days.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Default Alternator Repair Shop

It is much better to find a local Auto Electric Shop to rebuild your original Alternator than to ever buy one from the parts stores. The lifetime warranty only means you'll be crawling under your car for the rest of your life replacing the piece of crap you bought from AutoZone, etc. I'd rather have someone rebuild my alternator that does it for a living and puts his reputation on the line than buy one from a retail outlet that had them built by "who the Hell knows".
Old 06-20-2009, 07:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fbody396
It is much better to find a local Auto Electric Shop to rebuild your original Alternator than to ever buy one from the parts stores. The lifetime warranty only means you'll be crawling under your car for the rest of your life replacing the piece of crap you bought from AutoZone, etc. I'd rather have someone rebuild my alternator that does it for a living and puts his reputation on the line than buy one from a retail outlet that had them built by "who the Hell knows".
Agreed....parts store starters and alternators are JUNK. What they conveniently fail to tell you when you buy a "Lifetime Warranty" starter/alt. is that you're merely paying up to THREE TIMES the price for the same unit that they sell as a one-year warrantied piece (of ****), and hoping that you'll only have to replace it once or twice for them to still make any money on the sale.

Most local starter/alternator repair shops use better voltage regulators/rectifiers/bearings/etc. to repair the one you take off your car/truck than what comes in the parts store crap anyway. I know this firsthand, because I OWN a starter/alternator repair shop.