Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I sell the car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Should I sell the car...

I'm at a loss right now, posted my 98 M6 Z28 for 7k on craigslist, got an offer of 5K. The car has it's issues, minor cosmetic issues with body, leaky power steering pump or hoses, intermittent clutch slave issues (have an oem vette clutch and new slave ready to go in), and in dire need of tires. It has an excellent sound system, slp lid, shift delete, loud mouth CB, asr module (so it disengages automatically), full options, wheels, AC blows cold, also decent tear in the driver seat (leather). I picked up a 05 f150, and have a 63 falcon hardtop, 5 bikes, jetskis, rv (too much stuff). I commute on a bike, and barely drive the car as is, with the truck, i see it sitting even more. Not sure if I should let it go or not.

Figure can fix the steering pump 120 or so, tires 600, tear in seat 50 for repair, get the clutch in (either take a weekend or pay probably too much). Love the car though, everything works, fast enough for me. I paid 8K for it about 3 yrs ago and only put 14K miles on it (currently at 78K). What should I do...? Would save on all this needed maintenance, insurance, dmv, washing the thing all the time, etc...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

only $5k sounds a little low to me, what are others selling for in your area? How long have you had it for sale? I would think that $7k is a fair asking price and you shouldnt have a problem getting that for it. There are enough kids out there with a little money looking for something to haul *** with and this is perfect for that. I can understand with all your other toys that you dont need this one around, now if it were a special edition or rare car than I would say hold on to it. But there are enough of these cars out there that if you wanted another one in the future, it wouldnt be hard to come across.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Teching In

I posted 7, no bites. I'm in San Diego, so you'd think they're be someone out there. On the second week, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advise, it is true that there will always be more these around if i so desired later on. Still debating, I figure keep it, will have to throw at least $500 in it for 2 tires, a steering pump, and the seat repair. Still debating...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say keep it uninsure it , and make her all pretty over time =] lol or just turn her into a drag beast, i dont think i would sell for 5k for a 98 z28, i see v6 maros sellin for more than that around here, you do have alot of toys though, dowhat you think is right, we just had to sell our 3 jetski's due to that bad economy =[ , my dad said it was them or the 68 rs/ss convertible.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Got a much better offer of 6.5K today, but am having trouble with the thought of not having the car anymore. Reminded me of my search some 3 years ago and how happy i was finding an completely stock, single owner, low mileage ls1 z28 for 8k. I can afford to not sell, and even though i don't drive it much (due to commuting on bikes), it will definately last me quite a while and should hold on to it. Just need a set of tires, a ps pump, and seat repair to be happy. Also another weekend set aside to drop the tranny for the ready to go in, oem luk vette clutch and new slave. It's hard to let her go even for 6.5K when you realize that even 99+ mustangs are going for much more, guess I stick around for a while yet...
Old 06-12-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you dont HAVE to sell it as well as you dont sound like you WANT to sell it, than I say just keep it and fix it up as you can.

It will be worth more $$ down the road when you need to sell it if the P/S isnt leaking, the seats fixed, and especially the clutch ordeal.

My opinion.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
If you dont HAVE to sell it as well as you dont sound like you WANT to sell it, than I say just keep it and fix it up as you can.

It will be worth more $$ down the road when you need to sell it if the P/S isnt leaking, the seats fixed, and especially the clutch ordeal.

My opinion.
I agree...
Old 06-14-2009, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Well, it's a keeper, thanks for the feedback all. Just put a rebuilt ps pump on yesterday, was leaking at the main seal. Ordered tires, and had the seat repaired yesterday. Now need to get a new shifter (installed a used factory hurst with a short handle that just doesn't do it for me), spark plugs, fuel filter, wires, etc. And get the thing in the air and attempt to get the new clutch installed. Still debating on doing it myself or going to a shop. Last clutch i did was on a fox body, and i wasn't fun without a lift.

I figure, for 6.5K, there is now way of replacing the car with any comparable, it's a keeper, don't want to drive the f150 as a driver...
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Glad you made up your mind!!
Old 06-14-2009, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice to see you kept the car. I have been on the fence multiple times about this car mainly because of financial reasons but what made me realize not to sell is this; The more you work on your car and put the time into it the more you make it your own. And one day when you have done all the stuff to it that you have had planned all you will get is satisfaction and compliments on it, something that you wouldn't get by purchasing someone elses project or letting it go because you couldn't come up with funds to do a H/C that winter. I have found it is much more satisfying to watch my car come together with the work I have done to it, it almost becomes apart of you after the years.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by georgewa
Well, it's a keeper, thanks for the feedback all. Just put a rebuilt ps pump on yesterday, was leaking at the main seal. Ordered tires, and had the seat repaired yesterday. Now need to get a new shifter (installed a used factory hurst with a short handle that just doesn't do it for me), spark plugs, fuel filter, wires, etc. And get the thing in the air and attempt to get the new clutch installed. Still debating on doing it myself or going to a shop. Last clutch i did was on a fox body, and i wasn't fun without a lift.

I figure, for 6.5K, there is now way of replacing the car with any comparable, it's a keeper, don't want to drive the f150 as a driver...
Old 06-14-2009, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice, if the car isnt costing you anything extra (car payment) then there is no reason to get rid of it. you would just end up buying another one haha.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Yup, happy with the decision. Since deciding on keeping it, have been on a roll get it up to par. Tires will be here tuesday, seat's fixed, new ps pump in, prepping for the clutch install. Trying to decide on getting a new master to go with the slave and clutch. Funny thing is did the same thing with my tl1000r (daily commuter), after getting the 05 gsxr1k, put it up, had a buyer, but couldn't sell it. Still ride it to work almost daily, and have a spare motor for when/if the time comes... Live on ls1...