Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clicking after header install

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking after header install

I just recently installed my Ebay LT headers and Im having some trouble. The back bolt(closest to interior) on both passenger side and driver side would not go in all the way. Only my driver side makes the clicking sound. All wires and plugs are good and I have wire sleeves. I replaced the gasket but Im not sure what to do about the back bolt. It would begin to thread in by hand a bit then get very tight and would barely move, any thoughts? This click is annoying
Old 06-09-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

that back bolt needs to be tightened up. hopefully it's not cross threaded. if it is you'll need to cut new threads or live with it
Old 06-09-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the bolt hole isn't cross threaded, what you'll want to do is enlarge the hole on the header flange. That'll allow you to line the bolt up better.

There's a few possibilities for the ticking noise. If the headers retained the A.I.R., it could be the valves ticking from the added backpressure. It also could be a spark plug that is loose. The obvious choice is a header gasket leak. Yet another possibility is you have a leak where the y-pipe mates to the headers.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

what kind of ticking is my headers do the same thing its kinda of a high pitched scratching sound but it stops sfter it warms up
Old 06-09-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

you probably have an exhaust leak on the drivers side header flange. You need that last bolt to be fit for a good seal. I would tap the last header bolt hole then try and thread it all the way.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:26 PM
Teching In

Well I believe I may have to tap the hole. Im not sure if its cross threaded but I cant get that bolt in. How difficult is this to do at home? Im guessing very difficult considering there is no room
Old 06-17-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

best bet would be to enlarge the hole just a bit on the header flange to allow the bolt to mate well with the cylinder head. Had the same problem with my LT1 and did this and worked miracles.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:30 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pull the header off of the head and let it rest on the fender well where it wont fall off and try to turn the bolt in the hole with the header out of the way. This will let you know if you need to enlarge the header hole or tap the head