Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header question

I was wondering if a set of QTP headers for an 01 Trans Am would fit on my 98. I know they show two different part numbers, but I can't pass up the deal on them if I can make them work. If they won't work, can someone tell me what's different. Thanks in advance...
Old 06-10-2009, 01:07 AM
12 Second Club

Only difference should be the emissions fittings. I'm tired but i think 98-00 had EGR and AIR while 01-02 were missing one of those. Thats why the race style headers usually say 98-02 but the emissions ones have two different part numbers. So at the most you'd have to get rid of something since you wont have anywhere to hook it up. Dont forget to delete those codes.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference between 98-00 and 01-02 F-body exhaust manifolds is the placement of the A.I.R. system attachment on the drivers side header. Also the 98-00 have an EGR attachment on the passenger side manifold, where the 01-02 do not have an EGR so they do not have an attachment at all for an EGR. Do these headers have the emissions fittings or are they Off Road/Race Style Headers? If they are the Race Style Headers they will definitely work, but you will need to eliminate your EGR and A.I.R. Systems. If they do have the emissions fittings, I'm sure you can still make them work, but you will still have to remove your EGR because there will be no way to attach it to the header with it not having the fitting. Hope this makes things as clear as mud. LOL
Old 06-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll just stick with buying a new set Kooks for now..