Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA= damp filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA= damp filter

I recently installed a SSRA on my 99 trans am. It hasn't rained real hard since until today. So after driving about 10 miles I got back to my house and checked the filter and lid the check for any water. The lid was dry but the filter was a little damp. Also the top of the scoop of the SSRA had a little moisture on it. I am using the front seal it came with also.

So would you guys say ditch the ssra since its a DD or will it not hurt any thing??
Old 06-11-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Regular

there should be a block off plate for that.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

any other opinions??
Old 06-13-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Regular

The SSRA doesn't come with a block off plate. You can make one with a small sheet of metal from Home Depot and take the front seal out. I made a homemade version of a ftra but never installed it because of water fear.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the FTRA for years with no issues, I do carry their block off plate with me, and remove the front seal if I get caught in a very hard rain just in case. Don't know what size you'd need, but mine is 15" X 3.25".
Old 06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you risk it on a daily driver? Can you afford to replace the engine if you ingest too much water?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave it, it will be ok, I dd my car with the SSRA and I've driven through down pours with no problem. Some times the filter will get damp but none of the water gets past the filter. You'd have submerge the inlet and suck alot of water to hurt the motor (stay away from big puddles).
Old 06-13-2009, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

I take my lower portion of my FTRA off unless im at the track or im on a back road running the car. During the summer with the lower plate on my autometer temp. gauge will run over 210 degrees with the lower plate off i cool down to 180-190 degrees and i don't have to worry about getting caught in a rain storm, 7 years of doing it this way with no problems.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

I have my ftra fully installed and it has been through whatever the rest of the car has been through since installation. No problems, I don't even know where my block off plate is
Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

The SSRA is essentially the same thing as the ftra but hangs a little lower right? If so I think Im going to try and just take off the lower scoop. Do you guys think having the lower scooped detached will be any more beneficial than just the FRA mod or not?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
The SSRA is essentially the same thing as the ftra but hangs a little lower right? If so I think Im going to try and just take off the lower scoop. Do you guys think having the lower scooped detached will be any more beneficial than just the FRA mod or not?
It might help a little but nothing noticeable. At the track with the lower portion off and the seal off the front of the airlid i ran slower,back in the day when i tested it i picked up .13 tenths and 1.8 mph with the FTRA.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:47 AM
10 Second Club

The SSRA is essentially the same thing as the ftra but hangs a little lower right?
The SSRA lower scoop hangs lower. The lower portion of the FTRA is a just a plate that mounts directly in front of the radiator to direct air to the lid. But yes, you can remove the lower portion for daily driving, but it would be easier to make a block off plate like the FTRA comes with.

Do you guys think having the lower scooped detached will be any more beneficial than just the FRA mod or not?
Yes, assuming you leave the upper portion installed. It does a much better job of directing the incoming airflow.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
I take my lower portion of my FTRA off unless im at the track or im on a back road running the car. During the summer with the lower plate on my autometer temp. gauge will run over 210 degrees with the lower plate off i cool down to 180-190 degrees and i don't have to worry about getting caught in a rain storm, 7 years of doing it this way with no problems.
I have an A4 car with a trans cooler and this is the main reason I replaced the lower FTRA plate with the lower SSRA scoop.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I have an A4 car with a trans cooler and this is the main reason I replaced the lower FTRA plate with the lower SSRA scoop.
Is the higher temps because it is made out of metal??
Old 06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by fbodyman1026
Is the higher temps because it is made out of metal??
The FTRA covers a good portion of the front of radiator, hindering air from circulating. Here's a underside pic of the FTRA installed. I also have the SLP manual fan switch which allows you to kick on the fan(s) any time. This really helps in hot weather and at the track.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok yeah so it is basically the same thing as the ssra without the lower scoop. I guess I'm going to make a block off plate for the rain but will still be a pita to put on and then take off the airbox seal. I might just end up selling the thing.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Where did you get the lower SSRA scoop? I would like to try it out sometime to see if it helps the FTRA pick up more air at the track.

I have my trans cooler mounted on the passenger side where the underskin flap was,just cut it out and make a few metal tabs then screw them to the trans cooler. This way the cooler is out of the way from the condinser and the air dam channels the air straight into the cooler off the left hand side of the air dam.

I'm in the south where temps reach 95-100 degrees with humidity being as high as 90% at times. I also have a SLP fan switch but with the heat from stop and go traffic it hardly cools the engine down much,so i take the bottom off the FTRA and that helps alot on keeping the engine cooler during daily driving around town.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
Where did you get the lower SSRA scoop? I would like to try it out sometime to see if it helps the FTRA pick up more air at the track.

I have my trans cooler mounted on the passenger side where the underskin flap was,just cut it out and make a few metal tabs then screw them to the trans cooler. This way the cooler is out of the way from the condinser and the air dam channels the air straight into the cooler off the left hand side of the air dam.

I'm in the south where temps reach 95-100 degrees with humidity being as high as 90% at times. I also have a SLP fan switch but with the heat from stop and go traffic it hardly cools the engine down much,so i take the bottom off the FTRA and that helps alot on keeping the engine cooler during daily driving around town.
PM user ss1le02 on here.

Quick Reply: SSRA= damp filter