Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly mount color disignation???

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poly mount color disignation???

i was looking around for a good price on poly motor mounts, and i was on one site (lets call it "mountain-peak"racing.com for the sake of non-sponsor names) and the red prothane mounts were $11 more then the black ones. i am wondering if the price is different just because people would actually spend more money because of the color, or if there is actually a color designation for stiffness.

i would actually prefer the black ones because i dont want the mounts to stand out, so i wanted to know before i buy a pair. thanks in advance.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the exact same thing. I have been told, but cannot entirely verify as fact, that the black mounts these days are impregnated with a graphite lubricant compound to reduce squeaking while the red ones do not have this. I was never told about any difference in stiffness among 2 colors of the same brand, but amongst other brands, it seems to be generally accepted that prothane mounts are usually stiffer than their energy suspension counterparts. BTW, there is a motor+trans mount kit for 6 bucks less than buying them separate.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

oic. it would be interesting if anyone could confirm that about the black ones. and as far as the kit im just gonna get a fresh oem rubber trans mount. it seems that the general consensus around her is that a poly trans mount is the main culprit for interior vibrations.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

no difference between the two except color. I bought black.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've help install both black and red. I didn't notice any difference (other than color). Lotta help I am, huh. LOL
Old 06-15-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Try WS6store.com
Old 06-15-2009, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to shim my trans mount up 1/8" to keep the same driveline angle. I believe this is the main vibration culprit and not the construction material of the mount. Some poly trans mounts come with this shim and some do not. I installed without the shim at first and there was alot of vibration at anything over 45 MPH. Installing the shim eliminated that completely. As far as the color is concerned I'm not sure that there is a difference but I would say it's just cosmetic.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:23 PM
On The Tree

k thanks guys. and fwiw that "website" i posted in the first post is selling them for $49.99 which is the cheapest ive seen. i just printed out the page and ill bring it to my local speed shop to see if they'll pricematch so i dont have to pay shipping.. haha. when your still in college every dollar counts.