Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convinced I have a LEAK somewhere....HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 04:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convinced I have a LEAK somewhere....HELP

Past month or so I've been posting and searching about running really lean on bank 2. What I've done so far is replaced plugs and wires, swapped ignition coils, replaced 02 sensors, replaced fuel injectors and looked for exhaust leaks. I'll still gettin the code for running to lean on bank 2. Where should I check for leaks that would cause bank 2 to run lean.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If this helps I had lean on bank 1. There was a leak on the rubber hose on passenger side to LS6 intake. There was some black soot smelled like gas. I put a zip tie to it and no more code. As our cars are gettin older, the rubber hoses get dull and start to leak from excessive heat.Sometimes unmetered air enters in through the intake and set code. This is what happened to me. Hope it helps.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Any kind of "un-metered" air will cause something like this, take some flammable brake clean or starter fluid and spray some along the intake and hoses, if there is a leak it will be easily detected with a change in the way the engine is running. Take your time, you don't have to go crazy with this process, but it's where I'd start.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

It is possible that the lean condition is from a bad intake manifold gasket. That is the most likely problem. Had the same problem was searching for long time did the same things you had and finally decided to change them and code went away after clearing with scanner
Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info. What's funny is sometimes it's lean on bank 2 and sometimes it's dead on. I can let her idle and she'll be lean, like around 11 to 15 ltft's. Soon as I start driving she'll be back to normal....sometimes. Then other times it'll be 25 ltft and that's when the codes would start.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Staging Lane

Cool watch short term fuel trims

How I find an intake leak on the plastic intakes have some carb cleaner and the scan tool set up to see fuel trims. From a cold start up you spray the intake usually the corners and watch to see if the stft goes negative. if it does you found your leak. Hope this helps.