Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about cats and ORY's...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about cats and ORY's...

I am looking to keep my stock exhaust manifolds and to tell the truth, I am not too keen on changing out my Y-pipe (I like the clearance), but...
Rasp or not, Those cats got to go!

Are the Off-Road Y-pipes longer than the factory Y? I mean, Do they 'do away with' the cats by being longer or are they just a larger dia. pipe?

Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep my stock manifolds, but lose the cats? I am not really that 'keen' on 'gutting' them either, I would rather just stick them in the closet and somehow replace them with a longer pipe and some sims... Will an ORY pipe allow me to do this?

Sorry if my question seems stupid, I am tryin to learn all I can about this...
Thanks,

Old 11-11-2003, 07:39 AM
Launching!

You can go to an exhaust shop and see if they can custom make a pipe for you. That's what I did. My y-pipe starts at the end of my long tubes and ends at the beginning of my cat-back (no cats). I'm sure that something can be arranged for your situation.
Old 11-11-2003, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

That would be the best thing to do is get a custom Y made, you wouldnt have to worry about clearence either. Good Luck man
Old 11-11-2003, 09:13 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Offroad Y's are usually made to hook up to Long Tube headers, so they would be shorter than the stock Y. You could also keep your stock Y and just have a muffler shop make the offroad pipes for your. They will need to have a three bolt flange on one end and a two bolt flange on the other end. The flanges will have to be custom fabricated, not cheap unless you can do it yourself.

Inspite of how you feel now, I bet you will want to get rid of those heavy, restrictive exhaust manifolds at some point, and at least put Shorty headers on it if not Macs (mid length) or Long Tubes. I've been there; when I first got my car, I thought it performed fine and I didn't want to introduce problems by removing the manifolds or cats . . . but all that changed as you can see from my sig.
Attached Thumbnails Questions about cats and ORY's...-headers-mans.jpg  

Last edited by Cal; 11-11-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 05:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cal
Offroad Y's are usually made to hook up to Long Tube headers, so they would be shorter than the stock Y. You could also keep your stock Y and just have a muffler shop make the offroad pipes for your. They will need to have a three bolt flange on one end and a two bolt flange on the other end. The flanges will have to be custom fabricated, not cheap unless you can do it yourself.

Inspite of how you feel now, I bet you will want to get rid of those heavy, restrictive exhaust manifolds at some point, and at least put Shorty headers on it if not Macs (mid length) or Long Tubes. I've been there; when I first got my car, I thought it performed fine and I didn't want to introduce problems by removing the manifolds or cats . . . but all that changed as you can see from my sig.

That was EXACTLY the kind of info that I was looking for... Ask and you shall receive! I really appreciate ALL of the info that I get from this board. If I keep hangin' out here, eventually I will have this stuff figured out... (or at least part of it!) Thanks Guys!

James
Old 11-12-2003, 06:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cal

Are the 'Shorties' the same overall length as the stock manifolds?
Is there a certain Header length which will bolt right up to the stock Y?
(maybe some that I could put in myself without having to grind the block or
go friggin crazy tryin to squeeze them in)

I had read that the factory manifolds on the latter-model-year F-Body's were not really that bad and that gains from Headers were not as spectacular as on other cars. Is that a bunch of BS? Did you have good results with yours?

Thanks Cal,
James