Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers and Y

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers and Y

Hey guys, I developed a leak in my stock manifolds, and the wife gave me the go ahead for headers and a Y. Now I can spend right around a thousand dollars, but I have to make sure that i save enough to send my PCM out for a mail order tune. What are your suggestions? I live in a city in Ohio where i have emissions checks so I have to have cats and the AIR and EGR. Thanks for the input.

Mike
Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If money was no object I would go with these:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=2291

If I wanted to spend the least amount of money this is a good direction to go with:
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...id=181&catid=8

But what I recently installed on my Firebird was more middle of the road:
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...roducts_id=117
and
http://speed-eng.com/store/jet-hot-y...977db22191e25f

Hope this helps. =-) Good luck.
Old 06-18-2009, 11:12 PM
On The Tree

If you want stainless you can try the LPP, there are mixed reviews but the price is right where you want to be, otherwise its Pacesetters for you
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also when you install LT's and Aftermarket Y-pipe you may want to consider upgrading your motor mounts to either polys or solids at the same time. They are nearly impossible to get to with manifolds/headers in the car. They will also help prevent your newly installed Y-pipe from banging on the floorpan from torque flex of the motor.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Addict

BBK longtubes & ORY (2.5" till the merge, then its 3") are $499 shipped from LMPerformance. Silver Ceramic Coat. They have 02 bungs in the y pipe so you can add cats to it. Ive had mine on for about 5 months or going on 5months. No problems with them at all so far and i think that's a nice price for them. Texas Speed has Pacesetter's & a Y-Pipe for cheaper i believe.

Dont forget, you'll also need "new gaskets, stage 8 locking bolts, 02 extensions" and possibly motor mounts. To keep your y pipe from banging the floorboard, i never changed mine and my y pipe dont bang. I guess it jut depends on how worn they are.

Jegs for Magnaflow 2.5" Spun Cats (only cats ive had experience with)
SpeedInc for new Gaskets
WS6Store.com for locking bolts/02 extensions.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the inputs guys. I went ahead and got the American Racing Headers and catted Y pipe in all stainless from LMP. Question to you guys is. Does it include the hardware? Like extensions, gaskets, bolts? and so on? Placed order after they were close so I didnt have a chance to ask. Thanks again

Mike
Old 06-19-2009, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

I got Pacesetters and so far am very pleased for what i have in them. Not the best header in the world, but definately not the worst. LOL
Old 06-20-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly, If you like your car, if you wanna put GOOD parts on it, get stainless steel headers of your choice. I wouldnt have it any other way myself.

Do it once, do it right.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

The american racing headers system that i bought is full stainless 304 headers cats and Y. I figured go big or go home. I should have the kit sometime this coming week. I am anxious about installing it and see what kind of gains i get. I am just wondering if it came with the install kit or not. I would like to have everything together at once for the install.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think it will come with O2 extensions. It should come with all the hardware and gaskets, but use the GM gaskets.
Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blackws6ta
The american racing headers system that i bought is full stainless 304 headers cats and Y. I figured go big or go home. I should have the kit sometime this coming week. I am anxious about installing it and see what kind of gains i get. I am just wondering if it came with the install kit or not. I would like to have everything together at once for the install.
Sweet! Im sure they have great customer service, so you can call them up and ask if you get new bolts & gaskets included. I dont think they'll come with the o2 extensions but you can get them @ WS6Store as i mentioned. There about $30 to $40shipped, and you should get them in im guessing a day or 2. I get stuff from them in 3days, your alot closer to them then me.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

I ordered them from LMPerformance with the header system, so if there are gaskets and bolts and the rest with the kit, I am good for the install. I have a SLP LM2 has anyone heard this setup with the ARH catted system and this catback? I wonder how loud it will be and what tone I will get. Any ideas?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Check ls1sounds.com and see if they have a clip. If not, yake a vid and post it so we can hear it too.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The American Racing Headers come with o2 extensions and if you buy them from me a free set of MSD 8.5mm Superconductor plug wires and NGK spark plugs
Old 06-21-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Badguy7
BBK longtubes & ORY (2.5" till the merge, then its 3") are $499 shipped from LMPerformance. Silver Ceramic Coat. They have 02 bungs in the y pipe so you can add cats to it. Ive had mine on for about 5 months or going on 5months. No problems with them at all so far and i think that's a nice price for them. Texas Speed has Pacesetter's & a Y-Pipe for cheaper i believe.

Dont forget, you'll also need "new gaskets, stage 8 locking bolts, 02 extensions" and possibly motor mounts. To keep your y pipe from banging the floorboard, i never changed mine and my y pipe dont bang. I guess it jut depends on how worn they are.

Jegs for Magnaflow 2.5" Spun Cats (only cats ive had experience with)
SpeedInc for new Gaskets
WS6Store.com for locking bolts/02 extensions.
Some of the best info so far. I like how you broke it down just like a in a cook book?
Old 06-21-2009, 06:49 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

everything you will need comes with the kit
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

Dam I wish I would have known that from LMP because I just spent an additional 50.00 dollars on o2 extensions that I guess I dont need. Anyone ever dealt with LMPerformance? Wonder how they will treat the return.

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default good sound

I have the stainless obx headers and y with the slp lm2 and love the sound. Not too loud at idle but the headers give it a more thoatier sound and alot louder at wide open thottle. you will love it!!!
Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I can't wait to see what it feels like power wise. It has been three years since I added anything to the car that wasn't handling related. I am getting the pcm tuned by Frost once I get the exhaust on. SO hopefully those two will make for a decent gain in the good ole Butt Dyno.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:46 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackws6ta
Thanks for the inputs guys. I went ahead and got the American Racing Headers and catted Y pipe in all stainless from LMP. Question to you guys is. Does it include the hardware? Like extensions, gaskets, bolts? and so on? Placed order after they were close so I didnt have a chance to ask. Thanks again

Mike
My ARH's came with everything but bolts. I got the locking bolts but didn't install the locks, PITA. You'll love the sound of them and I picked up about 20 HP.