Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF problem or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default MAF problem or something else?

So my car has never really ran all that hot compared to what it should. The other day I got bored and made a cold air tube that puts the filter down low in the engine bay (about 1in hangs below the front bumper, about even with the sway bar) so that it gets a shot of outside air instead of being located behind the radiator sucking up 120 degree temps.

At first I didn't notice much of anything, a 10 degree temp drop at best on a 90degree humid day.

Lately my part throttle shifts have been sloppy too. I thought the tranny was going out.

The next day however I went for a drive and the car was running amazing. My shifts were firmer and I got into it hard and got that "sucked back in your seat" feeling I haven't got since right after the swap before I got used to it. So being curious I plugged in the scanner and the first thing I noticed was more air in the MAF readings. Used to get 36-37 lbs/min and now I'm getting 40 lbs/min.

My shift points also jumped back up to where they are supposed to be (6000 instead of 5800).

So I thought all was well, but today it went back to the way it used to be on my way to the store, then on the way home started running better again. Any ideas here?

I've cleaned the MAF at least 4 times in the last 2 months with no results.