Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine swapped now belt squeaks, help please!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Engine swapped now belt squeaks, help please!

I'm using the factory accessories including water pump, alternator, power steering pump, they have 59k miles. I am also running an ASP underdrive pulley, which was on my LS1 previously. Just swapped the LS1 for a L92 427. The AC belt is not on.

The main accessory belt squeaks at RPM and after the engine warms up and its annoying.

So far, in diagnosing the problem, I have:
  • changed the original factory belt for a new one
  • changed out the idle pulley tensioner for a new one

Doing this lessened the frequency and intensity of the squeaking, but did not fully resolve. So I think at least part of the problem was a loose belt. Again, the squeaking generally occurs with some RPM, not at idle so much, and not at all when cold. Is it possible that I need a slightly shorter belt?

I have also done the following:
  • Using belt dressing sparingly did not make a difference.
  • Spun each pulley in attempt to isolate the problem, but to no avail.

It appears that the problem may be with the crank pulley, but it is difficult to be 100% sure. My crank pulley is about 1/8" from seating against the cover, but apparently from other research this is common with the ASP.

I don't detect any noticeable wobbling from any other pulleys.

Help, what do I do next!?!?!?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you use a long screwdriver on the pulley/tensioners to try to see if you can hear the squeak or are you 100% it's coming for the belt.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grifter
Did you use a long screwdriver on the pulley/tensioners to try to see if you can hear the squeak or are you 100% it's coming for the belt.
I messed around with a screwdriver on the pulley tensioner, power steering pump and water pump, didn't get any evidence it was one of those. I swapped the pulley tensioner too, so I can rule that out.

I'm pretty sure its the belt.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

waterpump bearing chirping maybe?
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
waterpump bearing chirping maybe?
Possibly, the noise seems to be coming from center of the motor, so either water pump or crank balancer.

I'm going to check belt alignment next, that should rule out crank balancer (hopefully).
Old 07-08-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Belt still squeaking after changing idle pulley tensioner and putting on a gatorback belt. Best I can tell the pulleys are in alignment, although my methods of checking weren't the most scientific.

It only squeaks/chirps after the car has warmed up, and then not at idle, only at RPMs.... anyone know what would cause the noise under those conditions? Please help!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by General Jack
Belt still squeaking after changing idle pulley tensioner and putting on a gatorback belt. Best I can tell the pulleys are in alignment, although my methods of checking weren't the most scientific.

It only squeaks/chirps after the car has warmed up, and then not at idle, only at RPMs.... anyone know what would cause the noise under those conditions? Please help!
Can anyone help a brotha out?!
Old 07-10-2009, 02:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

I always take some WD-40 and spray it on each bearing area that I think is causing the squeak. If it is squeaking, the WD-40 will quiet it down for a few seconds and then you've found your chirp. Take the little nozzle and spray it down behind your water pump pulley (engine off) and then start it up. See if the noise stops.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also running an ASP underdrive pulley,

So far, in diagnosing the problem, I have:
[LIST][*]changed the original factory belt for a new one

I cut out all but the relevant parts. If you're running an underdrive pulley, you need a shorter belt.

Smaller pulley diameter means your factory belt is too long.

Take a look at where your tensioner index marks are located, I'm guessing they're nowhere near proper.

I'm running an ATI underdrive pulley, and Goodyear belt #4060780 is what it needed to put the tensioner into range.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
I cut out all but the relevant parts. If you're running an underdrive pulley, you need a shorter belt.

Smaller pulley diameter means your factory belt is too long.

Take a look at where your tensioner index marks are located, I'm guessing they're nowhere near proper.

I'm running an ATI underdrive pulley, and Goodyear belt #4060780 is what it needed to put the tensioner into range.
Thanks, I do have a shorter belt but maybe its not short enough. I'm using the 763 size belt... I see the tensioner marks, but where is it supposed to be sitting?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
I always take some WD-40 and spray it on each bearing area that I think is causing the squeak. If it is squeaking, the WD-40 will quiet it down for a few seconds and then you've found your chirp. Take the little nozzle and spray it down behind your water pump pulley (engine off) and then start it up. See if the noise stops.
Thanks, I'll try that.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks, I do have a shorter belt but maybe its not short enough. I'm using the 763 size belt... I see the tensioner marks, but where is it supposed to be sitting?
The line on the mobile portion of the tensioner should be in the indented area of the stationary portion of the tensioner, if I recall right.

I use a Katech adjustable tensioner w/ no spring so it's been a while since I looked at a factory one.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, new belt on, the one ASP recommends when using crank pulley, xxx760. Tensioner appears to be in the right position now... used some WD-40 behind the pulley... AND, still squeaking!

What is the best way to check alignment of the pulleys? I used a straight end from the edge of the crank pulley to the idle tensioner pulley, and it looks like I'm within 1/8", probably closer to 1/16".
Old 07-12-2009, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

Cheap mechanic's stethoscope, probe each pulley and accessory until you find the source of the squeak. $12 or so at Sears.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm having the same issue after a supercharger install. I'd like to know what you find. I was going to replace the tensioner since mine is stock. I thought I heard the LS3 fits and has more tension. Can anyone confirm that? I'm going to try the WD-40 trick tonight.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Are the belts screading? or get torn? It could be you didnt line everything up correctly. Or it is just a bearing in one of your pulleys that needs to be replace.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I'm having the same issue after a supercharger install. I'd like to know what you find. I was going to replace the tensioner since mine is stock. I thought I heard the LS3 fits and has more tension. Can anyone confirm that? I'm going to try the WD-40 trick tonight.
Got another set of eyes under my hood yesterday. My issue might be a little bit of oily residue on the water pump pulley causing the belt to slip. I'm going to replace the belt after cleaning off all the pulleys, particularly the water pump, thoroughly.

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Are the belts screading? or get torn? It could be you didnt line everything up correctly. Or it is just a bearing in one of your pulleys that needs to be replace.
Not getting torn or showing much wear, actually. I think my alignment is good.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if anyone found the fix to this yet? I swapped an ls6 in my rx7 and i have the same problem. However i have no powersteering or ac so my belt drive system is simple. Checked alt at the shop and its not making the noise. Idler and tensioner are both new camaro parts and feel mint. Waterpump is also new. I have a gatorback belt and my squeel comes after the car warms up a little, seems to go away under load when driving at higher rpms.. or my staright pipes are drowning it out lol. Still i suspect the belt on the crank pulley itself the new camaro balance i put in seems to have squared off edges so im thinking about taking off the belt and having my bro start it and watch the gauges while i touch them up with a knife edge file.??