Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP True dual Qs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP True dual Qs

I am going to be gettin this set up soon and I have a couple questions that I could not find any answers to during my search.

1) How loud or tame is it when your just cruising around like under 2K? (Sweet Thunder mufflers)
2) Is there any rasp?
3) Hows the ground clearence

Also a random question

With a new/bigger throttle body will I need a tune?
Old 06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

1) Cruising fine, acceleration not fine. If your cammed you'll have much more noise.
2) I don't think so.
3) Almost a pop can standing up at the lowest point if you do it right.
4) In a strict sense yes, will it drive, maybe. Will it drive well, 30 yes / 70 no is my guess not knowing anything else about it.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

I've got TSP duals with sweet thunders. I just put them on and to tell you the truth I'm pretty surprised at how much ground clearance I have. I did spend several hours under the damn car making sure everything fit perfect. When I pull it out of the garage I'll snap a couple pics. Sounds amazing, not really that loud, I have a "high tolerance" though.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=20Formula01;11790474]I am going to be gettin this set up soon and I have a couple questions that I could not find any answers to during my search.

1) How loud or tame is it when your just cruising around like under 2K? (Sweet Thunder mufflers)
2) Is there any rasp?

1) While its loud outside the car to everyone any way you look at it. Loudness to you inside the car will be less with duals over the axle and out the back. Turn downs (or dumps) will have cabin drone.
2) Should be no rasp. Mine has no rasp at all.
3) Ground clearence depends on the install. I've seen good ground clearence and I have seen shitty clearence.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get any rasp from my TSP TD's (spiral flows), but there's definatley prominent cabin drone, especially at lower rpm. I'd be interested in seeing some shots of ground clearence though cause mine hang very low, just barley enough to get me over the speed humps in my development and my rear isn't lowered!
Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lowest point would be the turndowns. I just got mine run out the back last week and it's much better inside the car, but much louder behind the car.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2) Is there any rasp?

1. I have bullets and cruising around town (m6 car) it is perfectly tolerable. WOT is another story.
2. I dont have rasp, but i have alot of backfiring which i was told is typical of a low back pressure system. It only occurs when i am decelerating.
3. Not much worse than most ORY's Spend time tucking it up. There is a very good writeup if you search google. If you flip a couple of the fuel line holders and remove the tunnel brace they will tuck nicely.

I added a FAST 90 intake and throttle body and drove probably 100 miles on the stock tune, and it was fine. I had a 800rpm idle and it drove just like stock. And this was with my true duals and headers.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

I just put sweet thunder on. They sound awesome cruising in low rpms and really screams when you get into it.

I have 0 rasps.

Mine fit like crap for ground clearance. We spent so much time trying just to get them on let alone tuck up good. Taking it to an exhaust shop tomorrow to fix it. It appears it can have surprisingly good clearance with work though.

Ive had a fast90 on for like two months with no tune and it drives just fine. Idle is right about 800.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

I just installed mine a few weeks ago with sweet thunders. Cruising it wasn't bad, about as loud as my LM2 or a little louder. You can definately hear the headers through them. Idle sounds real nice. Wot is definately loud, like pull me over loud. I didn't really like the sound at higher RPMs so I had 3in mini cats put on it. Now its tame cruising but still aggressive at Wot. Made about 340 to the wheels through an auto and 9in rear. For some reason my system fit like crap. I used AR Headers and they didn't fit well on the collectors. The clamps they supply are also junk imo. Ground clearance is pretty good considering. I can fit about three quarters of a soda can under it at the lowest point. Took a buddy of mine and myself just as long to install the duals as it did the headers. Oh well, it is what it is for 400 bucks.

Eric
Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine didn't mate up well to my ARHs either. Last week when I took it to have the exhaust run out the back, they were able to tweak it by cutting off some pipe on the driver's side and then adding a small piece on the passenger side. I had them weld v-band clamps on to mate to the headers and now it tucks up very nice. Very little work required and now no more slip fit and I can drop the whole exhaust by undoing two clamps and the nuts for the hangers on the back.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM
CARTEK Racing

I replaced the mufflers the bullet mufflers that came with the exhaust with Dynatech ove mufflers to comply with my local tracks muffler rules.

Otherwise, I get no rasp. Given my set-up, it is rather loud, but at crusie, I hear my 12-bolt more than my exhaust...

As far as ground clearance, my car is not lowered [maybe a little on the front due to the QA1 shocks] but with all the speed bumps in NJ and the shitty roads, I have not had a problem, knock on wood.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

just wondering what kind of power you TSP dual owners picked up by adding duals?
Old 06-23-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey guys i plan on getting the TSP duals with dynomax bullets. just wondering if my clearance will be decent with hotchkis lowering springs?
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'm lowered on a ProKit and I haven't scraped once yet...that includes pulling into gas stations and other little road obstacles. Definitely flip the fuel line brackets, it helps quite a bit. I also made a little dent in my pipe right after the X where it was on the torque arm which gave me a little better clearance. I could honestly probably tuck the system up another inch if it wasn't for the damn torque arm getting in the way.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ground clearance is Good on a stock height car.

As for rasp or being loud, if your stock internal you'll be very happy with the sound. They don't really get to loud until about 2300rpm. The sweet thunders sound very mellow in my opinion.

If your Cam only or have heads its def to loud to be coming home late if you know what I mean.