Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchasing a DMH Cutout confusion on what size to get!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing a DMH Cutout confusion on what size to get!

I plan on buying a DMH E-cutout and placing it behind the passenger seat where most people place them...

I want to know what size i need?

I have a flowmaster cat-back that was installed before I bought the car, other than that everything else to my knowledge is stock. And sense the cutout is before the muffler wouldn't it be whatever stock piping was there originally? They don't modify pipping before the muffler when they install catback's do they?

oh yeah forgot, the car is a 2001 trans am ws6
Old 06-23-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

IMO you should save your money for meaningful exhaust improvements. I briefly drove my car with no muffler with stock manifolds/cats before adding my magnaflow and it sounded like complete ***.

At the very least, find a way to disconnect your muffler to try it out.

I dont think you will see any power gains at all either.

To actually answer at least one of your questions, my magnaflow catback included stainless steel piping that extended all the way to the Y-pipe.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Back when I was cam only, I had a Flowmaster 80 series welded into the stock exhaust and also had a cutout with a DMH. I gained 16 rwhp with the cutout open on the dyno. I feel that it's definitely worthwhile. To answer your question, you should need 3".
Old 06-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah go with a 3" cutout. I know on my car with the Magnaflow catback the cutout was placed on the "I" pipe that came with the catback, so yes it is different from the stock pipe that was there. Not too familiar with the Flowmaster catback, but it shouldn't be too difficult to weld in a 3" cutout to whatever pipe in there now.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

You will need a 3" but get a QTP cutout. It will last alot longer and they are a sponsor here. www.quicktimeperformance.com

Also at least you can get a hold of qtp. Cant say much about dmh https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-get-hold.html
Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

QTP has been plagued with more reliability problems than I have ever heard from any ls1 product. Their are HUNDREDS of threads about QTP's breaking and only having a very short warranty. DMH is very easy to get ahold of, and their warranty cannot be beaten at 4 years. No questions asked and the guy is very friendly! Don't believe me? Give him a call right now the number is on their website. I know my money was spent well with DMH.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

DMH is far better than the QTP.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
QTP has been plagued with more reliability problems than I have ever heard from any ls1 product. Their are HUNDREDS of threads about QTP's breaking and only having a very short warranty. DMH is very easy to get ahold of, and their warranty cannot be beaten at 4 years. No questions asked and the guy is very friendly! Don't believe me? Give him a call right now the number is on their website. I know my money was spent well with DMH.
QTP sells 100 times more then DMH. Why did Summit Racing carry DMH then drop them? If they are so great why dont they support this site?

I have my QTP for like 6-7 years now.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

Maybe because the money they would pay for advertising their product on a forum to generate mass sales goes back into the product to create a better design, and an outstanding warranty that will completely replace your unit at no charge to you for 4 years if something is wrong with it. 4 year warranty and better product > Mass Sales. Would you buy a foreign car that outsold an American equivalent by 100 times with no warranty and a reliability problem or a car more carefully made that sold a little less with a warranty and an owner who actually makes sure his product works?
Old 06-23-2009, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

I'm picking up an e-cutout soon and plan on going DMH. I've seen tons of threads on here about QTP's breaking. I also like DMH's warranty better!
Old 06-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KC21386
IMO you should save your money for meaningful exhaust improvements. I briefly drove my car with no muffler with stock manifolds/cats before adding my magnaflow and it sounded like complete ***.

At the very least, find a way to disconnect your muffler to try it out.

I dont think you will see any power gains at all either.

To actually answer at least one of your questions, my magnaflow catback included stainless steel piping that extended all the way to the Y-pipe.
So does it really sound like ***? I wasn't getting it for the performance so much, I wanted it to have a mean *** beat when I wanted and suttle when I wanted... If it sounds like *** though, I dont want to do it...
Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Staging Lane

IMO.. Save your money and get a decent set of headers
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

I was amazed how much the stock manifold and cats quiet down the car. In my opinion it was not even loud with no muffler and the stock cats and manifolds. And it certainly didn't sound like a muscle car. I'm not familiar with flowmaster, so perhaps it will help your performance.

I'm not sure how you can beat adding headers to our cars... the power and sound gains are well worth saving up for.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Koastie57
So does it really sound like ***? I wasn't getting it for the performance so much, I wanted it to have a mean *** beat when I wanted and suttle when I wanted... If it sounds like *** though, I dont want to do it...
I don't think it sounds bad, I mean I've had the cap off of my manual cutout since I installed it around a year ago. Has a deep rumble to it and is louder than a flowmaster catback but not overbearingly loud. If you do plan on adding headers you'll definitely see more gains from the headers in terms of power and sound.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

The gf'z Z28 has stock exhaust with a cutout and it sounds good, not bad at all. Its not ridiculously loud, but its louder than my car with lt's, ory, through the stock catback. Sounds pretty good imho
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hard Core Z28
You will need a 3" but get a QTP cutout. It will last alot longer and they are a sponsor here. www.quicktimeperformance.com

Also at least you can get a hold of qtp. Cant say much about dmh https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-get-hold.html
I was just laughing at that post and now this one..
Old 06-25-2009, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can sum it up pretty simply: A friend had a QTP and had problems with it all the time. When I got my DMH he looked at it and wished he'd gone with that instead. So, when his QTP finally died after a year, I sold him my DMH due to me going with true duals. He could have bought another QTP, but preferred the DMH.

Hell, most of you guys probably don't even remember the days when McCord was the only e-cutout you can get. Had one of those too and it lasted 6 years. Everyone said they were junk as compared to the QTPs. Yet, I haven't met anyone that's had a QTP last more than 3 years.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
Would you buy a foreign car that outsold an American equivalent by 100 times with no warranty and a reliability problem or a car more carefully made that sold a little less with a warranty and an owner who actually makes sure his product works?
unfortunately many senseless people do this,, contributing to the fall of the "big 3" car companies

also i bought two dmh cutouts placed one after each collector and they both work fine,,, dmh can be hard to get ahold of but they still do great business IMO