Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MIG & Lathe Ported TB

Old 11-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default MIG & Lathe Ported TB

Well I finally got around to porting my TB since I had Vets day off. I decided to do mine differently; chucked it up on the lathe and bored it out that way, and also machined the front half of the shaft off. Instead of filling it with epoxy, I welded it in with the MIG welder, then put it back on the lathe and milled the two holes for PCV and IAC. I also bored out the IAC port to get more air in to help with cold idle. Just thought I would post all this so people with these tools would know about another method of doing it. I'm sure the performance is no different than the grind and glue method.

I was surprised how big that bump is just before the throttle plate! I took out a lot of metal here. When I removed the throttle shaft, I noticed that it's supported by a pair of sealed ball bearings; this is a nice design. While welding, I had to pause frequently to avoid overheating the ball bearings.

Last edited by Cal; 11-12-2003 at 11:35 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, i always thought about doing it that way,
Old 11-12-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any picts?
Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah that's basically the same thing we do.

You have to bore the lip out because you will not get it all by hand. The only problem with MIG welding, or any welding of the TB is the heat. The heat needed to cure the powdercoat on the TB is not bad, but the heat from welding will easily cook the bearings. Not saying it can't be done but it's a big risk since those things are a bastard to get out of the TB. Plus just filling in the viod in the TB is not all that the epxoy is good for. It really does help to have the epxoy around that to help with flow.

BTW I know all of this because I have welded up throttle bodies in the shop.

Bret
Old 11-13-2003, 09:02 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah I was a little concerned about cooking the bearings also, so I paused frequently and let it cool (and squirted a little cooling water on the bearing area from time to time.) This took a while to do, but then on the other hand there was no waiting for epoxy to set up doing it this way. The bearings were still moving smoothly when I got done, and the rubber/plastic bearing shields were intact. I got the shaft out pretty easy, but I could see the bearings were sweged (sp?) in.

I did end up with the outer rim of the air horn bulged out after the welding; but a light cut on the lathe restored it to better roundness than stock. Only problem there was I had to dial it in first with a four-jaw chuck since the air horn is not concentric with the throat bore.

I ran the boring bar through once parallel to the bore to get the hump out, then a second time with the compound on an angle to follow the bell shape of the air horn. (damn air horn is asymetrical as I'm sure you know!) After welding it, I made the same two passes with the boring bar to clean it up. I also used an end mill rather than a drill bit to make the port holes to get a smooth cut through the curved surface. Another thing I did was over bore the IAC seat a little to improve my cold idle. I noticed the IAC plunger is a cone shape, so you can get away with this. All in all the way I did it was probably more work, but I like the results. Sorry no pics; I was in a big rush to get the TB finished and back on my car.

Bret, I'm impressed that you guys machine the lip out; I just assumed everybody did it with a grinder by hand.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cal
Yeah I was a little concerned about cooking the bearings also, so I paused frequently and let it cool (and squirted a little cooling water on the bearing area from time to time.) This took a while to do, but then on the other hand there was no waiting for epoxy to set up doing it this way. The bearings were still moving smoothly when I got done, and the rubber/plastic bearing shields were intact. I got the shaft out pretty easy, but I could see the bearings were sweged (sp?) in.
Yeah we replace that ring on the shaft too with a new one. Think about how labor intesive the welding is for you there. The time is a huge factor in welding. The epoxy take about 20 mins to do and then you just have to let it set. That's not a problem because I have other things to do in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Cal
I did end up with the outer rim of the air horn bulged out after the welding; but a light cut on the lathe restored it to better roundness than stock. Only problem there was I had to dial it in first with a four-jaw chuck since the air horn is not concentric with the throat bore.
Yeah not welding also helps prevent this too.

Originally Posted by Cal
I ran the boring bar through once parallel to the bore to get the hump out, then a second time with the compound on an angle to follow the bell shape of the air horn. (damn air horn is asymetrical as I'm sure you know!) After welding it, I made the same two passes with the boring bar to clean it up. I also used an end mill rather than a drill bit to make the port holes to get a smooth cut through the curved surface. Another thing I did was over bore the IAC seat a little to improve my cold idle. I noticed the IAC plunger is a cone shape, so you can get away with this. All in all the way I did it was probably more work, but I like the results. Sorry no pics; I was in a big rush to get the TB finished and back on my car.
Going to a compound angle is a interesting idea, but not as effective as going at it by hand at that point. Good idea to do the holes with a end mill vs a drill bit, we don't weld that area up so our process is a little different and more accurate.

Originally Posted by Cal
Bret, I'm impressed that you guys machine the lip out; I just assumed everybody did it with a grinder by hand.
Nope, I do as many things by machine as I can. The throttle stop is all done by machine also. Some of the work has to be done by hand, and the final shape of the TB is done by hand.

Bret
Old 11-14-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

we want pics!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Nope, I do as many things by machine as I can. The throttle stop is all done by machine also. Some of the work has to be done by hand, and the final shape of the TB is done by hand.
Bret
You're right, I still had to blend the area where the two lathe cuts intersected by hand. I used an air die grinder with a stone then switched to a flap wheel to smooth things out.

After doing all this, I must say the price charged for having it done is very fair. But still, there is a certain satisfaction to having done it yourself. My hands were black with aluminum well before I was done, and that was another reason I didn't take any pictures along the way, I didn't want to even touch the camera with those hands!
Old 11-14-2003, 09:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cal
You're right, I still had to blend the area where the two lathe cuts intersected by hand. I used an air die grinder with a stone then switched to a flap wheel to smooth things out.

After doing all this, I must say the price charged for having it done is very fair. But still, there is a certain satisfaction to having done it yourself. My hands were black with aluminum well before I was done, and that was another reason I didn't take any pictures along the way, I didn't want to even touch the camera with those hands!

It's dirty work. Add epoxy into the equation and it's a heath hazzard!

BTW we have a special on ported TB's right now with no core charge! $200 takes everything, and that's awesome considering that core charges are normally $200.

Bret

Search this Thread