Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my homemade true duals

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default my homemade true duals

Heres a couple of pics of my exhaust setup I have been building 3" steel pipe with Dynomax bullets. It seemed I may be able to gain a little ground clearance by running both pipes on the pass side. I would have really liked to have had a smaller gap between the pipes oh well. Should have it finished up tomorrow. Heres the pics

pic1
pic2
Old 11-12-2003, 06:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good. I made my own also, but my pipes had to be farther apart because I used acutal mufflers instead of bullets.

Jordan
Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might have to runn them a lil further apart anyways... due to the drive shaft and torque arms being in the way
Old 11-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DEEZ98Z
You might have to runn them a lil further apart anyways... due to the drive shaft and torque arms being in the way

Actually, I am running both pipes down the rh side of the torque arm, I want to see if I can get a little more ground clearance out of it. If it doesn't work like that then I'll proabobly just do it the normal way.

aaron
Old 11-12-2003, 11:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah you can do it that way (both on the rh side) somebody posted pictures of a very nice setup done like that. I saved his pics and coud repost them if you like. I've also heard of true duals both going over the passenger side of the axle.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

One thing I did to get more ground clearance was cut the bottom of the right-rear floorpan out below the rear seat; then I welded in a flat piece of 16 gauge steel and angle iron. This made room for a "real" muffler there. I used a Borla oval. I didn't think the rear seat cushion would go back in (I could care less) but it did, just a little higher than before! If you did this you could have your true duals on the right with zero loss of ground clearance.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much did the parts run you? was there any welding or are the pipes slipe over, also what diamter are the pipes. im thinking of dumping my y/catback setup for some true duals if i can get a good price.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Thats a good Idea Cal, something to think about when I get ready to put in a cage sometime in the future...hmmm...

jrp, I used 3" pipe, all the way, 2 180 degree bends for the x-pipe, 2 (90) degree bends in front of those $100.00 total for these 4 pieces. $50.00 for 8 foot of 3" straight pipe, (about twice what I actually used). $55.00 for the bullets. I used a few scraps that were laying around as well. I'd say about $250.00 total would get it done. One thing I highly suggest buying is something like a 14" metal chopsaw...VERY NICE TO HAVE. I bought one of those pipe expanders you use with a wrench, but ended up going to a local shop and having them expand most of the pipe(its a lot quicker).The joints are all slipfitted, then welded, this way you can mock it up under the car and get it adjusted perfect, then tack weld it.

Sorry so long, tomorrow I should have some pics on the car.

Aaron
Old 11-13-2003, 02:23 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Heavy Metal
Thats a good Idea Cal, something to think about when I get ready to put in a cage sometime in the future...hmmm...

jrp, I used 3" pipe, all the way, 2 180 degree bends for the x-pipe, 2 (90) degree bends in front of those $100.00 total for these 4 pieces. $50.00 for 8 foot of 3" straight pipe, (about twice what I actually used). $55.00 for the bullets. I used a few scraps that were laying around as well. I'd say about $250.00 total would get it done. One thing I highly suggest buying is something like a 14" metal chopsaw...VERY NICE TO HAVE. I bought one of those pipe expanders you use with a wrench, but ended up going to a local shop and having them expand most of the pipe(its a lot quicker).The joints are all slipfitted, then welded, this way you can mock it up under the car and get it adjusted perfect, then tack weld it.

Sorry so long, tomorrow I should have some pics on the car.

Aaron
sweet, i'll look into it . theres a local guy with a welder and metal shop saw and i'll see if i can get a deal. where did you get your piping at?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jrp
sweet, i'll look into it . theres a local guy with a welder and metal shop saw and i'll see if i can get a deal. where did you get your piping at?
I got the bends from jc whitmey, the straight stuff I got locally at an exhaust shop.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

I got the bends from jc whitmey, the straight stuff I got locally at an exhaust shop.
cool, thanks for the help man. im really into the true duals and if i could do it for cheap it'd be great.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:12 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

One thing I highly suggest buying is something like a 14" metal chopsaw...VERY NICE TO HAVE. I bought one of those pipe expanders you use with a wrench, but ended up going to a local shop and having them expand most of the pipe(its a lot quicker).Aaron
Yeah those chop saws are great! I don't have one, but I put the blade they use into a power mitre saw and it works that same way. I had the same experiance with the pipe expander, easier to just take them to a local shop to do that.

Quick Reply: my homemade true duals