Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling System

I had NGK TR-55's gapped at .050, with Taylor 10.4mm wires, and my car ran great....I changed the plugs, but not the wires, only i changed the gap to .059, back to the stock gap...

Ever since i changed the plugs, the car has ran warmer than normal...the temp gauge will go over 210, about halfway towards the next line...whatever that reading is
my car is a 2001 Z28, and I havent changed the coolant since i bought the car...is the thermostat getting stuck, does the gap change the temp on the engine...is it time to just flush the system, maybe its clogged somewhere....need to take care of it before i start warping gaskets and crackin heads....any info???
Old 11-12-2003, 11:18 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No the plug gap can't do that. And the temp gage on a 2001 is little more than an idiot light. When you get it warmed up, have a look under the hood and see if the fans are running; it's hard to see them so try poking a soda straw into the blades to tell. If both fans are running, it probably is your T-stat; take it out and boil it in water on your kitchen stove to see if it opens. Might me a good time to put in a 160* stat. Don't flush your system, a 2001 is too new to have anything cloged up. That new coolant (the dexcool) is good for 100,000 miles.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I also forgot to mention that my 2001 has almost 98000 miles on it...and the fans are running...but i took it in today, to get it pressurized and found out that the water pump has been leaking from the shaft seal....i knew coolant was leaking from somewhere, but I thought i fixed it by tightenin up a few bolts, cuz it hasnt been wet under there....so, I got charged $700.00 to flush the coolant system, r/r water pump, and flush power steering system.....
Old 11-13-2003, 07:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

you got flushed alright...for 700 bucks...no offense but you couldve bought yourself a brand new electric water pump and a couple bottles of coolant and in a couple hours of work had your car up and running with an extra 10hp to the rear wheels lol and did they actually flush the cooling system? They probably just replaced the pump and filled the system back up to where it was supposed to be.

lata
Bill
Old 11-13-2003, 07:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
you got flushed alright...for 700 bucks...no offense but you couldve bought yourself a brand new electric water pump and a couple bottles of coolant and in a couple hours of work had your car up and running with an extra 10hp to the rear wheels lol and did they actually flush the cooling system? They probably just replaced the pump and filled the system back up to where it was supposed to be.

lata
Bill
and also how do you have a 01 with almost 100k miles thats more then my 98 @ 96.6k miles.
Old 11-13-2003, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

about a year ago my friend and i found an 01 with 110k on the clock...we figured it out that from the earliest possible build date if it were bought at that time it still wouldve had to been driving 100 miles every day of the week since the time it was bought s-s it wouldve been a great autox car hardtop, man wins & locks,man cloth seats...happened to be an auto and were asking a bit uch at the time so we passed.

lata
bill
Old 11-14-2003, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car is a 2001...i bought it in Oct of 2000, with 58 miles on it...I've driven my car everywhere, Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara....and driving 70 miles a day, at 5 days a week to work, didnt help either....I moved closer to work and changed shifts, so now i only drive 40 miles a day, at 4 days a week...i just cant stay out of my camaro....When would it be time to check the bottom end of the engine....when is it time for a rebuild....my car still runs like a champ, if not better now that its runnin cool again
Old 11-14-2003, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by OfficerZ28
My car is a 2001...i bought it in Oct of 2000, with 58 miles on it...I've driven my car everywhere, Vegas, San Francisco, San Diego, Santa Barbara....and driving 70 miles a day, at 5 days a week to work, didnt help either....I moved closer to work and changed shifts, so now i only drive 40 miles a day, at 4 days a week...i just cant stay out of my camaro....When would it be time to check the bottom end of the engine....when is it time for a rebuild....my car still runs like a champ, if not better now that its runnin cool again
The best way to see if a lower rotating engine assembly is in need of a rebuild, would be to do a leak down check of the engine. How did your plugs look? If it runs like a top, then I'd just leave it alone, unless you just want to do other power adders.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car has no leaks whatsoever....and the plugs were tan, so thats a good sign...i was told my rear end has play in it....when is it time to change the gears...do i need to change the gears, or rebuild THE WHOLE THING? What gears are a good replacement?