Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guages Stopped Working. Need Insight.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Guages Stopped Working. Need Insight.

The only new addition that I have made recently was a Fast 92 intake. My car has been sitting for roughly 2 weeks. I went to start it today and the only gauges that are working are oil pressure, voltage, & temp. Speedometer & tach are not working at all. The voltage is very low. I'm stumped. I checked every fuse today and they were all good. If it was a bad ground would it cause this? Or would it be out entirely? Oh yeah and I tried putting a different ecm in it to see if that could have been the problem and nothing. Hopefully someone’s been down this road and can help me out. Thanks.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty tough to help, not knowing what car you have...
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Make sure your battery is good (no dead cells) and fully charged. My gauges went nuts when my battery failed.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by crainholio
Pretty tough to help, not knowing what car you have...
I'm going to take a stab here, but looking at his screen name one could "probably" assume he has a 98-02 WS6 Trans Am.

But anyways, sounds like a battery issue or your alternator is dying also. Does the car turn over and run fine? Any other lights on? SES, ABS INOP or anything else? Also make sure that if you did disconnect your ECM that both the Red and Blue connectors are tight. I took mine out and the orange gasket that surrounds each one kind of folded over and didn't make a good connection between the harness and ECM. It looked fine and bolted down okay, but it wasn't. Double check that also.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

yeah id trace wires an make sure all the connectors are snapped good, its possible you coulda bumped one just right. i had that happen to me on an mustang i used to have. the speedo, headlights and various other things wouldnt work, yet the damn lights would flash when the alarm was armed/disarmed. turned out to be a snap connector that had worked its way loose over time. good luck tho bro.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Teching In

Sorry guys it's a 2001 ws6 trans am. Yes the abs inop is on but it has been on and I have had no problems. I changed the ecm and nothing. I checked the connections red and blue, and still?? It's a brand new altenator, I will check the battery though it does look pretty beat up. Thanks for the insight, if anyone else has any ideas feel free to take a swing at it. I'm going to recheck all grounds and have the battery tested. Thanks again.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the ground on the back of the drivers side head. Its a braided ground strap that attaches to the head and firewall. Mine came loose when I did my engine swap and I had all sorts of wierd issues with the gauges.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronws6
Sorry guys it's a 2001 ws6 trans am. Yes the abs inop is on but it has been on and I have had no problems. I changed the ecm and nothing. I checked the connections red and blue, and still?? It's a brand new altenator, I will check the battery though it does look pretty beat up. Thanks for the insight, if anyone else has any ideas feel free to take a swing at it. I'm going to recheck all grounds and have the battery tested. Thanks again.
Thanks for the clarification.

As you check each ground, loosen it, wiggle the end connectors to scrub off any corrosion, and then snug it back down.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Did you check the fuse?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Teching In

All of the fuses are good. I got the speedo to work but the tack still nothing. I'm going to run down the tack wire and make sure its in good shape. It may be worn or got snagged up. i checked the grounds on the back of the heads, and they were snug. I backed them off and resurfaced the area and retightened them down. So I'm not too sure what else it could be.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

If its only the tach you probably messed up the cam position sensor wiring or the sensor itself, which is located behind the intake. Pretty easy to do when installing an intake since you can't see back there very good.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just god rid of this problem and it was because of a semi bad ground and a shitty optima... i fried a PCM before i figured it all out thought... good luck!!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Thanks you guys!

Hey I want to thank all of you guys for giving your input! Arc00TA You were spot on! I got my cam sensor harnes crushed when I put on my new intake. I backed the bolts off and pulled it out and she fired up all guages working! Thanks again all!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I figured that was it once you said it was just the tach. Glad you're back to working 100%. Now enjoy that new intake!