Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced PCV, now it won't crank

Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced PCV, now it won't crank

I replaced the entire PCV system last night like many of the guys here described (new hoses, not a catch can). The problem now is that the car won't crank. The SECURITY light flashes and it's acting like the clutch isn't pressed in. I did have to disconnect a couple wiring connections. I disconnected the plug on top of the passenger side valve cover above/between the coil packs and a small plug on the drivers side to a small device mounted above the back half of the valve cover just in front of the AIR crap. Everything else works, it just won't crank and the SECURITY light flashes. Do I need to reset the system somehow?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

For starters unhook the battery and see if it resets it. If not you probably will need to reset the VATS
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Teching In

Any idea how to reset the VATS? I have checked all my connections, checked fuses and disconnected the battery. Nothing works. The SECURITY light "flashes" and it acts like I'm trying to start it without pressing in the clutch. I cleaned the keys (I have 2 sets) and blew compressed air into the switch. What else can I do besides have the damn thing hauled to a garage? I can't even get it to Auto Zone or Avance Auto to see if it's throwing any codes.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
11 Second Club

in my experiance when the vats system kills fuel, the engine still starts, then dies instantly.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Mine won't even engage the starter, just like if I turn the key without pressing in the clutch.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like ur vats is actn up,the key mite by worn down,, or ur vats is going bad,, u can by pass it by taken a meter and putting it on the setting that measures resistances, meter the key and go to a parts store and buy a pack of resistors, find the resistor that close to what ur key reads, then take apart the bottom of ur dash{rite under the steering wheel} there is alittle orange wire running to ur ignition, cut the wire put the resistor in line, or go get a new key made ha!

if its going bad a new key wont fix it!!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks. Gonna try the bypass this evening.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

ur welcome. only thing vats has nothing to do with the pcv!! lets us no how it turns out

Search this Thread