Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine damage without tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine damage without tune?

Hey I was just wondering who here would know any of this. Last summer and friend of mine and I put some pacesetter long tubes and an ory on my car. We put in o2 simulators but noticed the ses light still came on. At the time we didn't realize it but when my buddy went to extentd the front sensors he cut the wire wrong which I guess put the car into open loop? My gas mileage has gone down as I haven't had time to drive the 3 hours and spend the cash on tuning it.

I've put on around 1500km's since doing the install and when I went to setup the appointment to do this and have the gears installed, he told me I had likely damaged the seals on my motor explaining that the exhaust change would cause the computer to run at a maximum 15% increase of something? and will dry out some seals and make my oil black fast.

The only difference I've noticed is bad mileage. I've read and read like crazy on here before about doing headers etc and never thought something would like that would wreck the car.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

yes im interested in this too
Old 07-01-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

was the shop a speed shop or a reg mechanic shop?
Old 07-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

It's a performance shop for just about anything with a dyno.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I dont think it will wreck the engine. Youre getting worst mileage because youre running rich since the tune is not done. I've seen lot sig here with the word 'untuned'.

I ran my car a long time rich(at 12:1), like 2 years before getting a tune, and nothing was damaged. You could damage the engine if the car was running extremely rich or lean, but that would be unlucky and unusual!

They want to sell you an engine...but yess, it could in an extreme case, like untuned car with a new cam...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I have run my car untuned with full bolt ons basically for 1.5 years and have had no issues