Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experts come inside. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Experts come inside. Need help!

Here was my problem at first. Every time I came to a stop. My idle would drop quite low sometimes it would almost die but it would kick back up again. I found a leak from the egr tube that enters the intake manifold. The seal was kinked so I simply fixed it and leak was gone. I thought that was the problem. But it wasn't. Car's idle was still dropping low and idling crappy. So next I replaced the egr valve and gasket. Car ran like a champ again. No problems since. Now a month later---> It was late and quite cold out. I was leaving a friends house and turned on the heater. Came to a stop sign and idle dropped low and then went back to where it should be. Another stop sign and same thing. So I turned off the heater..car warmed up some more and no longer did that when I came to some stops. Mods are listed below. I have rear o2 sims. My gut is telling me that I should get rid of the 160 t-stat. My old egr valve was black as black could be..too much carbon from the lower engine temps?? Most likey causing the egr to stay open......any thoughts and help it much needed. Thanks!
Old 11-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I don't see a cam in your list of mods, but that can cause this. It's not your 160 stat, don't remove that. I'm guessing there is a problem with your IAC. Make sure it is plugged in well; unplug it then plug it back in all the way. It that doesn't fix the problem, replace the IAC with a new one. As far as the EGR, I would just remove that and put a block off plate on there.