Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA or FTRA KIT owners ......

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SSRA or FTRA KIT owners ......

ok, i know this has been posted a million times asking if these ram-air kits are really worth it or not. I have only 1 questions ..... how much did your E.T. and mph improve in the 1/4 after installing either kit ?

I've done searches on here and I have not really seen what I want to see. I want to know the result with these kits on a H/C car . Right now, I have the FRA mod going and so far ,so good. But I have always been curious about a SSRA kit for my car. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Ive not run a back to back with it. I have the FTRA.....For what its worth, my intake air temps remain stable while at a stop, so I know Im getting cooler air into the intake. I wouldnt expect anything more than a tenth for a consistent driver.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Food for thought:

The only reason we don’t recommend this kit (or the Fast Toys for that matter) on the WS6 or SS is that you have to block of the functionality of the ram-air hood in order for this system to work. Basically, it defeats the purpose of your ram air hood.

Thanks,
Angie

Thunder Racing Sales Team

sales@thunderracing.com http://www.thunderracing.com
Toll-Free: (877)516-RACE Phone: (225)754-RACE Fax: (225)754-7220
Old 07-06-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Ive not run a back to back with it. I have the FTRA.....For what its worth, my intake air temps remain stable while at a stop, so I know Im getting cooler air into the intake. I wouldnt expect anything more than a tenth for a consistent driver.
Thanks Ravensfan. I appreciate your input .
Old 07-06-2009, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by fxgs
Food for thought:

The only reason we don’t recommend this kit (or the Fast Toys for that matter) on the WS6 or SS is that you have to block of the functionality of the ram-air hood in order for this system to work. Basically, it defeats the purpose of your ram air hood.

Thanks,
Angie
What !!?? The hood is just there for looks on an 98-02 SS. There is absolutely no function, except air can maybe cool the intake a little threw the little vent holes and being a LT.Weight hood . That's it. All the air comes from the bottom ,if I'm not mistaking . Now on the 96-97's SS ,I could see your point and maybe on the 96-02 WS6's . Now if I'm wrong ,please tell me and I will gladly take the advice. But thanks anyway for your input.

Now, has anyone seen any improvements in the 1/4 with either of these kits ? If so ,how much did you gain ?
Old 07-07-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

before 14.2 @ 99.8 mph stock
after 13.6 @ 103.9 mph FTRA and SLP lid
after 13.5 @ 104.7 mph FTRA, SLP lid, and Magnaflow catback
Runs were on different days but similar conditions. If anything track prep was a little worse for the second run. It was def worth it for me.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

There was a guy that did back to back testing of the SSRA on a same day with and without it, ALSO blocking off the top intake port and then removing the block. The thread was a really good indepth read and it proved that infact the SSRA did work and proved to have slightly better times by leaving the upper intake duct left open.

If you search for it im sure you can find it. Its a good read and a longer thread.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

FTRA on my cam only car years back picked up .13 tenths and 1.6mph,DA was almost identical and was done back to back weeks at Hallsville raceway. It does not work for me in the summer time air with the reason i think is because the FTRA blocks the radiator and allows my 6.0L iron block to heat up faster than normal so i take the bottom off during the summer time and only run it during fall,winter and spring.

It is a proven bolt on that works!
Old 07-07-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't notice any difference with mine, I'm glad I bought it used and didn't pay full price for it.

I tried to do some track testing, but I had traction problems as the day got warmer, so it turned out for my best run of the day (my first) I actually had the FTRA disabled and the block off plate installed.

I'm going to try again next time I'm at the track.

I did however notice that my SLP lid doesn't seem to be sealing very well, that could be the reason too. I'll have to find a way to seal it up better.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by StreetStalkerZ
FTRA on my cam only car years back picked up .13 tenths and 1.6mph,DA was almost identical and was done back to back weeks at Hallsville raceway.

It is a proven bolt on that works!
Now this is what I want to hear (read ) .13 tenths and 1.6 mph gain !! Hell I'm sold....lol. .

I do understand that every car is different and the DA is different all across the country and if anyone else have any experience with the SSRA or FTRA on a h/c car ,please share it !! Thanks again ,guys .

Last edited by Mac 2002 SS; 07-08-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I didn't notice any difference with mine, I'm glad I bought it used and didn't pay full price for it.

I tried to do some track testing, but I had traction problems as the day got warmer, so it turned out for my best run of the day (my first) I actually had the FTRA disabled and the block off plate installed.

I'm going to try again next time I'm at the track.

I did however notice that my SLP lid doesn't seem to be sealing very well, that could be the reason too. I'll have to find a way to seal it up better.
Only difference between your car and mine is that mines an '02 and has freemods including a muffler delete...mine is even an NBM.

I just installed my FTRA and SLP lid this weekend. Mine is a 2.73 gear car, so from a 60-roll it pulls pretty good in stock form; with the FTRA and lid I can tell a nice difference in how hard it pulls...not nitrous hard, but definitely there.

The only thing negative I have to say is that it jacked my temps a tad. My temp gauge at highway speeds used to be a tick below the 210 mark, now at cruising speeds its right on the 210 mark. I read here elsewhere that it's supposed to jack up your temps in stop & go traffic, but in my case it hasn't changed.

Like you, my SLP lid has a slight fitment issue on the front driver's side corner of the lid...it seems to not sit on the base as well as the stock lid, resulting in a small gap. I can't feel or hear any leaks, so it seems to be ok. The real bitch was inserting the MAF into the lid. I had to take a lighter and heat the radius of the lid until the MAF barely slipped in.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

12.5@108 before ssra
12.2@110 after
nuff said
Old 07-07-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white_camaro
12.5@108 before ssra
12.2@110 after
nuff said
same day?
Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

chrs3113 did the test. He got great results....

i have a home made FTRA.. everything on my car is bloscked off so only the FTRA is doing the work
Old 07-08-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

The guy that did the testing did both runs with the air only being fed by the ssra and then both the ssra AND the upper intake routing. Both results were roughly about the same so it doesn't make a difference.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ponchoV8
Only difference between your car and mine is that mines an '02 and has freemods including a muffler delete...mine is even an NBM.

I just installed my FTRA and SLP lid this weekend. Mine is a 2.73 gear car, so from a 60-roll it pulls pretty good in stock form; with the FTRA and lid I can tell a nice difference in how hard it pulls...not nitrous hard, but definitely there.

The only thing negative I have to say is that it jacked my temps a tad. My temp gauge at highway speeds used to be a tick below the 210 mark, now at cruising speeds its right on the 210 mark. I read here elsewhere that it's supposed to jack up your temps in stop & go traffic, but in my case it hasn't changed.

Like you, my SLP lid has a slight fitment issue on the front driver's side corner of the lid...it seems to not sit on the base as well as the stock lid, resulting in a small gap. I can't feel or hear any leaks, so it seems to be ok. The real bitch was inserting the MAF into the lid. I had to take a lighter and heat the radius of the lid until the MAF barely slipped in.
You can't really go by your temp gauge. 99-02 Fbody temp gauges are dummy gauges that do not tell you the temp. It's kinda like a idoit light of a gauge. Only us 98 guys and people who have modified there stockers get a working gauge.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by white_camaro
12.5@108 before ssra
12.2@110 after
nuff said
sweet !! Thanks for the input
Old 07-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Teching In

Haven't track tested yet but it seems the ssra does what it says!
I had temp creep a little too so I put in a 160 stat and set fan temps lower
seemed to fix the problem.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
You can't really go by your temp gauge. 99-02 Fbody temp gauges are dummy gauges that do not tell you the temp. It's kinda like a idoit light of a gauge. Only us 98 guys and people who have modified there stockers get a working gauge.
Ive got an 01, with an interceptor guage. My water temps are unchanged after bolting on the FTRA. At idle and during operating speeds, its always 195-200 degrees. Of course the stock guage says 210
Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ravensfan
Ive got an 01, with an interceptor guage. My water temps are unchanged after bolting on the FTRA. At idle and during operating speeds, its always 195-200 degrees. Of course the stock guage says 210
Gotta love that sweet sweet 99-02 stocker. Then again it's hard to trust any of the factory qauges in these cars. Love how the tach is off a little too at idle.

Quick Reply: SSRA or FTRA KIT owners ......