Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Steel vs Aluminized Steel

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stainless Steel vs Aluminized Steel

I just wanted to open a discussion about what you all think is better for aftermarket exhaust systems.What advantages does each offer...etc.I am aware aluminized steel is cheaper but does it last as long as Stainless.I believe the Aluminum/Silicon coating on Aluminized Steel exhaust systems would eventually crack or wear away after being subjected to high temperatures after a few years and the exhaust system would rust.BTW Magnaflow is Stainless and Flowmaster is Aluminized Steel.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

stainless will last way longer in harsh climates. Here in N. louisiana though its kind of a waste of money bc 20 year old alum steel exhaust systems don't show much rust at all.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
stainless will last way longer in harsh climates. Here in N. louisiana though its kind of a waste of money bc 20 year old alum steel exhaust systems don't show much rust at all.
Dont you all get a ton of rain and high temps down there though(lol).
Old 07-08-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where do you live?!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought stainless, but only really because I wanted the GMMG. My ORY is aluminized steel and after two years it looks just as good as my stainless catback.

Although, I only drive it in the spring/summer/fall. No winters (salt).
Old 07-08-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by lovescamaros28
I just wanted to open a discussion about what you all think is better for aftermarket exhaust systems.What advantages does each offer...etc.I am aware aluminized steel is cheaper but does it last as long as Stainless.I believe the Aluminum/Silicon coating on Aluminized Steel exhaust systems would eventually crack or wear away after being subjected to high temperatures after a few years and the exhaust system would rust.BTW Magnaflow is Stainless and Flowmaster is Aluminized Steel.
I would say it depends on where you live.

How long does the steel last, well I have an original CA 65 TBird that still has it's factory steel exhaust on it. I bought it last year from the original owner, he told me everything but the paint was original. On my 97 Suburban which is running a flowmaster exhaust installed when I bought it in 98 the steel looks about the same as it did in 98, the muffler is just about to fall apart tho.

So if your climate is like CA, don't worry about getting stainless.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think you could sum it up in two words...rust resistance.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with Stainless. It lasts longer and cools faster. 409 stainless will discolor emediately when exposed to heat. It will turn a brownish tint of red. 304 grade stainless will get some blueing in high heat areas but for the most part will not change.

Aluminized steel is OK. the seams are never coated very well and will rust right away.

The question you should ask yourself is, What are your intentions with the car?
Show Car?
Driver?
How long do you plan on owning the car?

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel vs Aluminized Steel