Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sbc build 383ci-441ci?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc build 383ci-441ci?

Hey guys,

I'm very cherry when it comes to engines, currently have an 04 CTS-V w an LS6, and of course it's not enough. I've been looking into possible engine swaps, i.e. ls7, ls3, etc. but can't really find what I want i guess. I have heard some 383ci on youtube, custom built of course that sound amazing. I hear some guys talk about bigger builds up to 441ci. I want to easily have 500hp to the wheels if not more, but don't know what route to take. A guy here with me on my deployment said to stick with a 383ci, and then I could even go FI with a TVS 1900 or 2300 down the road. My questions are, what should I look for? Should I just buy a complete engine? or build one from scratch? which would be more reliable? if i build from scratch, i don't know which parts to go with, i.e. comp, eagle, trick flow, afr, etc. i know it's pretty general, but I honestly don't know what to do. I want a mean n/a engine that has a nice lope, but not extreme since this car is my DD in the summer. I'm not looking to spend more than 5-6k on the engine (not including the tvs system down the road). And then i can sell the LS6 to offset some of the cost. I return from my deployment in Afghanistan in a few weeks and would like to start doing something then. If there are any shops in and around the Chicagoland, NW Indiana area that'd be willing to take a stab at it please PM me. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:19 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

So are you asking about a old small block chevy build?
Old 07-09-2009, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

would that be a better route to go? i was reading that i could bore out my ls6 block and use that, but the ls6 aluminum block probably isn't the best to put a stroker in? i have no idea what the difference between an old block or a "newer" one would be...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

You are in the wrong part of the forums, maybe a moderator will move it to the gen III section for you. If not you need to post this in there!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

That is why i was asking before moving the thread.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

if you looking to swap in a 383 stroker motor, good luck only spending 5-6k. On average your looking at paying about 3-4k for just the LSx 383 short block. then you still need crank, connecting rods, pistons, heads, cam, etc etc.....which would probably be about another 5-6k. (depending of course on what brands you go with and how much power you want to make) So you might be able to spend about 5-6k if you did it to the LS6 thats already in your car and didn't buy a brand new motor. But i believe the biggest you can bore your stock block to is 383(without having to sleeve the motor, which can be very costly), if you want to go any bigger you need to buy a brand new motor.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Staging Lane

the current motor you have in your dd can handle more power with the right upgrades . you can buy a forged stroker rotating assembly,have a good engine builder hone the block to fit the new pistons. do a valve job on the heads and add good spring . pick a cam the meets your needs.or put a procharger on it .the 383 ls1 stroker uses a 4in stroke with a .005 over bore.the heads you have can make alot of power with the right cam and intake. ask more questions around here and you will get a better ideal on how you want to build your engine.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Teching In

look into an lq9 block and making it a 408 stroker. easy 500hp. cost effective.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info guys, and steering me in the right direction!