Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much easier are solid MMs to install vs. poly?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much easier are solid MMs to install vs. poly?

After reading the thread on the poly MM install, I'm reconsidering the solids :p

How much easier is it to install a solid MM?
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
After reading the thread on the poly MM install, I'm reconsidering the solids :p

How much easier is it to install a solid MM?
They are pretty easy to install. Granted I had my manifolds out of the way becuase I was installing headers at the same time. Just unblot one side with a jack taking the pressure off under the oil pan. Loosen the other side and replace the side you removed the bolts from. Start the bolts and then do the other side. Let the jack down slowly and tighten the bolts as it comes down. Pretty straight forword and easy.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine took about 30 minutes per side to install with the headers still in place. Passenger side was very easy, drivers side was a little harder but still not bad.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

During my Poly motor mount instal the thing that was definitly the most pain in the *** was breaking open the old casings and drilling out the rivots and putting the new poly's in.

When doing a solid mount install you eliminate that entire procedure. So yes, it would save you a lot of time and frustration but there are sacrafices, especially with a heavily modified motor.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

remember, with solid MM, you basically have to remove the engine to do any trans work
Old 07-09-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, that's the one thing that has me pausing - that and not a clue how bad the vibrations will be. I'll keep the stock / poly tranny mount for sure, but I keep reading nightmares about the poly install. I'll be doing headers at the same time though...
Old 07-09-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vibes are noticable at idle, and around 2500 rpm. At all other speeds the car is actually smoother than it was with the stock mounts.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

I don't really have any vibes. About as smooth as stock. Little bit just off idle at like 900 RPM for a second thats it. Also you don't need to remove the engine for tranny work. Just loosen the back two bolts per side and remove the forward two bolts per side. Engine will tilt and you can grab the top bolt on the bell housing. Also one awsome thing about them is my exhaust is tucked up within a 1/16 of the floorboards. Kinda a big deal when your running 3" duals out the sides. One more thing I love is how the car rocks alot when you start it and rev it.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Regular

are you saying loosen the MM bolts, or the tranny mount bolts?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

are you saying loosen the MM bolts, or the tranny mount bolts?
M/M bolts, loosen them and then and the engine can tilt but not fall off the M/M's. Also I would run a stock rubber trans mount. With solid M/M's there is no point to run a poly and it will help to absorb some of the vibes. I would reccomend solid M/M's to anyone. Even my friend thought it was stupid to put them on a street car but after he rode in mine after the install he changed his mind and said he would run them too.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
M/M bolts, loosen them and then and the engine can tilt but not fall off the M/M's. Also I would run a stock rubber trans mount. With solid M/M's there is no point to run a poly and it will help to absorb some of the vibes. I would reccomend solid M/M's to anyone. Even my friend thought it was stupid to put them on a street car but after he rode in mine after the install he changed his mind and said he would run them too.
Yeah, that's what I was planning. Cool to know that there are workarounds for the tranny work though. Does your car actually vibrate / rattle at idle at all?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, that's what I was planning. Cool to know that there are workarounds for the tranny work though. Does your car actually vibrate / rattle at idle at all?
No not really at all. If you didn't know I had them and you were sitting in the car you wouldn't know any different. Just above idle at about 900RPM say taking off from a stoplight I may get a very slight rattle/vibe for 1 second and that only happens about 1 out of 10 times. I have solid M/M's and a stocker rubber trans mount. I ran a poly trans for a little bit becuase I broke the stock rubber before the M/M install and the vibes were worse. Only drove it for a little bit untill the factory one I ordered came in and it took all the vibes right out.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Unertl42
remember, with solid MM, you basically have to remove the engine to do any trans work
newb to motor mounts. why would u have 2 drop the engine to work on on the tranny with solids?
Old 07-10-2009, 12:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nukeemall454
newb to motor mounts. why would u have 2 drop the engine to work on on the tranny with solids?
You don't, he is mistaken. It does complicate things though when it comes to trans. removal. With stock rubber mounts after you pull the rear crossmember under the tailshaft of the trans. the engine will tilt back allowing you to get to the top bell bolt easier. With solids you have to take out the bolts running from the motor mount into the side of the blots to allow you to do this. Pull the forward two bolts per side and loosen the back two bolts per side and it will tilt back.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
You don't, he is mistaken. It does complicate things though when it comes to trans. removal. With stock rubber mounts after you pull the rear crossmember under the tailshaft of the trans. the engine will tilt back allowing you to get to the top bell bolt easier. With solids you have to take out the bolts running from the motor mount into the side of the blots to allow you to do this. Pull the forward two bolts per side and loosen the back two bolts per side and it will tilt back.

He is not 100% mistaken. While it does not make transmission work impossible without removing the motor/trans together, it really does make it a PITA. In some instances I've found when doing a TC install or just a trans removal in general it's easier to drop the K member a few inches rather than mess with loosening the MM bolts. I've had solid mounts on two F-Cars now and while I loved the Solids in most every way, I didn't so much like them when I had to do a converter swap or pull the trans... It can be done, but it's just about 10x more difficult to get it done with Solid mounts in there as opposed to the rubbers or poly's.

And to the OP, as ShortChevy said, what makes it difficult when dealing with the Solid mounts as opposed to the stockers is that it's tough to get the engine/trans tilted downward enough to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. That's all really. Everything else is pretty much the same.

Last edited by 98RedBird; 07-10-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Well, that can probably be managed, I guess :p I hope after dropping in a built T-56 at some point I won't have to do a whole lot in there
Old 07-10-2009, 02:54 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
He is not 100% mistaken. While it does not make transmission work impossible without removing the motor/trans together, it really does make it a PITA. In some instances I've found when doing a TC install or just a trans removal in general it's easier to drop the K member a few inches rather than mess with loosening the MM bolts. I've had solid mounts on two F-Cars now and while I loved the Solids in most every way, I didn't so much like them when I had to do a converter swap or pull the trans... It can be done, but it's just about 10x more difficult to get it done with Solid mounts in there as opposed to the rubbers or poly's.

And to the OP, as ShortChevy said, what makes it difficult when dealing with the Solid mounts as opposed to the stockers is that it's tough to get the engine/trans tilted downward enough to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. That's all really. Everything else is pretty much the same.
That's all I was trying to say was that, no you do not have to remove the engine to do trans work. Granted things are alot easier with rubbers or polys. Dropping the K member down is easier then messing with the M/M bolts. I was just stating you can still tilt the engine with solid M/M's
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

Ok I understand guys thanks
Old 07-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Staging Lane

I heard you have to remove all the belts when doing motor mounts, is this true?? because i mean Arc00TA said he did his mounts in about an hour, and that wouldn't really be possible if you have to take all the belts off and crap. Im going to be doing solid mounts at the same time im installing my headers, just want to know what im in for. Also I can't really find a write up on how to install solid mounts, so im guessing they are pretty easy and straight forward like ShortChevy said?
Old 07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WickedSuperSport
I heard you have to remove all the belts when doing motor mounts, is this true?? because i mean Arc00TA said he did his mounts in about an hour, and that wouldn't really be possible if you have to take all the belts off and crap. Im going to be doing solid mounts at the same time im installing my headers, just want to know what im in for. Also I can't really find a write up on how to install solid mounts, so im guessing they are pretty easy and straight forward like ShortChevy said?
Whoever said that must have pulled the A/C compressor and the altenator to gain some room. If you do it while you do headers like I did there is a ton of room from the backside. After you get the headers and M/M's you'll also be surprised how empty it looks on the sides of the engine from all the room in there.

Search this Thread