Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installing headers then reinstalling stock manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installing headers then reinstalling stock manifolds?

Hi I'm buying a set of longtubes... I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. Stainless steel works headers with an ORP.

2. Jet-hots with a catted Y

Questions are this if I go with number 1 with proper programming can I pass the plug in emissions test (they don't look for cats and don't do the sniffer or roller on ODBII vehicals in OR)?

If I went with number one and swapped them out with the stock manifolds every two years I need to get emissions tested would that be a CRAZY ordeal? For example I don't think it would be bad on say my 93 but have never done headers on an LS1 car?

If these answers are negative I'll go with Number 2 with the catted Y pipe...

Thanks!

Bobby
Old 11-16-2003, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
Questions are this if I go with number 1 with proper programming can I pass the plug in emissions test (they don't look for cats and don't do the sniffer or roller on ODBII vehicals in OR)?
If they are not looking for cats then you should be able to use the second option w/o cats as well. Jet-hots are cheap and look great being coated. With the proper programming you can delete those codes and not have to worry about cats or just buy some O2 simms and leave the programming alone. My O2 simms have yet to throw a code.
Old 11-16-2003, 01:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing I'm worried about is the ground clearance and banging (mostly ground clearance) the Stainless tuck up into the car quite a bit which is why I was considering those I have the pro kit so Its lowered about 1.5 inches....

is your ride lowered have you had any problems???
Old 11-16-2003, 04:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is not lowered, but I do not think that I would have a problem if it was. The Y-pipe hangs down the most but that is only b/c it would be rubbing the floor if it was any closer. I liked the tight fit of the headers but if you are going to lower your car I would still get the tightest fitting that you can find.