Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering reserviour lines

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Power steering reserviour lines

Do someone knows if there is some different lines. I have a 98 LS1 that has a power steering oil cooled so the line comes from the reserviour to the opil cooler and then to the rack and pinion. Is there other that goes directly from the reserviour to the rack and pinion? Do someone has some of those lines for sale? I have a F-body LS1.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The high pressure hose runs from the pump to the rack. Then, the low pressure hose runs from the rack to one nipple on the cooler. Another low pressure hose runs from the other nipple on the cooler back to the resevoir. You can use 3/8" fuel line for the line that runs from the cooler to the resevoir and hose clamps to secure it as it is low pressure. Both lines that run to the rack have crimped on fittings.

The high pressure hose has crimped fittings on both ends.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
The high pressure hose runs from the pump to the rack. Then, the low pressure hose runs from the rack to one nipple on the cooler. Another low pressure hose runs from the other nipple on the cooler back to the resevoir. You can use 3/8" fuel line for the line that runs from the cooler to the resevoir and hose clamps to secure it as it is low pressure. Both lines that run to the rack have crimped on fittings.

The high pressure hose has crimped fittings on both ends.
Do some years didn't use the cooler part and runs down directly from the reserviour to the rack and pinion?
Old 07-13-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Cordero
Do some years didn't use the cooler part and runs down directly from the reserviour to the rack and pinion?
Yes, some of them do not have factory coolers. SUGGESTION!!!!!

Take that horrible design for a PS cooler off and run a straight rubber hose. Then go to Advance Auto and buy a tranny cooler and put it on.

$40-$45 dollars for the cooler, rubber hose, clamps, 3 foot of 3/8" heater hose, 2 bottles of PS fluid. Plus about 30 minutes to do it. Take the cooler off, then take one end of one of those hoses and connect it to the new cooler, then hook the other one to the new cooler....DONE. I replaced the rubber hose coming from the bottom of the reservoir, if yours is fine, reuse it and don;t buy that 3 foot of new heater hose.

ALSO....the power steering fluid coolers that came from the factory are not REALLY coolers. They are PS fluid HEATERS. If you put your hand on the factory cooler after the engine is at operating temp, you will get a third degree burn. If I put my hand on my aftermarket cooler that you see in the pictures below, after a hard core drive through the city after my engine was already hot, I can keep my hand on it no porblem, its just warm. The factory coolers are HEATERS, they do not work. Hot as hell 200+ degree coolant heating that thing up makes the PS fluid hotter. It shortens the life of the power steering pump by running hot as *****.

Do this:

FOR AIR FLOW OVER THE COOLER while moving, cut that strip out of the air dam:

Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually replaced my stock cooler two weeks ago because it started leaking. Autozone has one for $20. The stock replacement upper radiator hose was $25, if I recall.

BTW, only the SSs and WS6s had the steering cooler due to coming with the 17" wheels and tires.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PAGregSS
I actually replaced my stock cooler two weeks ago because it started leaking. Autozone has one for $20. The stock replacement upper radiator hose was $25, if I recall.

BTW, only the SSs and WS6s had the steering cooler due to coming with the 17" wheels and tires.
Man, thanks a lot for the info. You sound like a Dictionary to me. You help me a lot and save me a lot of money trying to get those parts. I bought a 2000 LS1 engine at a junk yard and just missed that cooler part that my 98 SS Camaro have.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad I can help. I've been turning wrenches on this car for way too many years now.

Here's the cooler I bought: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...estions=%5B%5D

It's a bit smaller than the one that LS6427 posted pics of. I wanted the smallest one possible just so I could mount it just about anywhere. However, I did end up mounting it pretty much where LS6427 did. I just made some brackets out of aluminum strap and have the cooler hanging down parallel to the air deflector in hopes of getting some air flowing through it. Seems to work well thus far.

Quick Reply: Power steering reserviour lines