Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator Swap Question. Thanks for looking

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator Swap Question. Thanks for looking

I heard that the 04 GTO Alternator is internally regulated, and therefore does not require the exciter wire to be used. If I purchase an 04 GTO alt, which I believe has the same casing shape, and bolt pattern, and hook it up, will everything operate correctly? Does the in-dash voltmeter use the exciter wire for operation?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to the top
Old 07-15-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by QuickdomesticRacer
I heard that the 04 GTO Alternator is internally regulated, and therefore does not require the exciter wire to be used. If I purchase an 04 GTO alt, which I believe has the same casing shape, and bolt pattern, and hook it up, will everything operate correctly? Does the in-dash voltmeter use the exciter wire for operation?

Thanks
An hour and 20 minutes wait time, and you're TTT-ing? If you'd invested the time searching and/or Googling, you'd have answered your own question in that time.

Most alternators since the '80s have been internally regulated.

Some of the more recent Delphi alternators are internally excited, unlike their predecessors. No charging lamp circuit or PCM signal is needed to start the charging process. Good stuff!

Some good reading on converting the CS130 alternator is here:

http://www.v8rx7forum.com/v8-rx7-tec...r-upgrade.html