Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help from guys with stainless headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help from guys with stainless headers

Well I had loud ticking coming from my car. Found a loose band behind the resonator. Got that tight started the car and the ticking was coming from the header gasket next to the head. I could feel the air coming out. So I tightend the bolt and most of the noise went away. So my questions are:
Should I be able to drive the car.
How much power do you think this costing me (best guess).

My friend said I need copper gaskets. The ones that are on there are paper type with copper coating. Guess I will call VA speed to do the job if I can drive it over there.

Last edited by tasilver; 07-14-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why aren't you running the stock MLS gaskets? You won't hurt one of those and can reuse
Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I did not install them. I had the headers reinstalled when I had the heads and cam installed its just what the shop that did work for me put on. I did not notice this till now (1-1/2 later)
Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Intercooler2
Why aren't you running the stock MLS gaskets? You won't hurt one of those and can reuse
X2 Get your self some stock GM gaskets and you'll be set. If it's not that bad of a leak you'll be fine to drive it, just take it easy, these engines are tough.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

+1 on the stock GM gaskets
Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys.
I just want to make sure my friend is right. Here are couple of pics. Also I was searching on this and it seems that most have problems on the passanger side which is where mine is. I may try to tighten all of the bolts but if I still have a leak then I will replace the gasket. Reading the search post it sounds like this could be do it yourself job. Here are the pics to make sure I am right about the paper coper coated gaskets. What do you guys think?

passanger side

Old 07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't over tighten the bolts if its leaking you have gasket problems. Easy fix to replace the gaskets and you don't want to deal with Fed up threads in the aluminum head.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, I checked the bolts and they are tight. So I picked the OEM gaskets. I think I may try to install these myself. Does anyone know what I torq the bolts to.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the best gaskets to get for LS1 cars. They're also what I have and they're excellent.

http://www.speedinc.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000425

I'd recommend them over stock gaskets. They're a few more dollars but the peace of mind is worth it IMO. They're extremely thick and the multiple layers look very impressive.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Torque is a 2 step. Start in the middle of the header and go from side to side and work your way to the front and back, if that makes sense. First pass is 132 inch pounds, second pass is 216 inch pounds. I use a little 1/4 drive torque wrench. You should be able to leave the header in the car and undo the clamp at the Y pipe/collector and pull the header off the head enough to get the new gasket in.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks, I already have bought the stock gaskets and need to get this done soon.

I guess I will pick up a "lb socket driver and try to scrape the copper coating junk off with a razor. Conan do you think I will have enough room to clean up the surface of the head and header? Also I have never installed header gaskets before, do I put them on a certain way and just bolt the headers to the heads?
Old 07-15-2009, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tasilver
Thanks, I already have bought the stock gaskets and need to get this done soon.

I guess I will pick up a "lb socket driver and try to scrape the copper coating junk off with a razor. Conan do you think I will have enough room to clean up the surface of the head and header? Also I have never installed header gaskets before, do I put them on a certain way and just bolt the headers to the heads?
You might have enough room to do some cleaning. I would try it first and see. Also take a look at your new gaskets they should say "out" or "manifold side" so the manifold side will be the side that touches the header.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks again. Just like to have as much info as I can before I get started on this.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tasilver
Thanks again. Just like to have as much info as I can before I get started on this.
Take your time and have a buddy help and you'll be fine.