Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR tubes coming off Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AIR tubes coming off Headers

I removed my air/smog pump a while ago when I installed my supercharger. So can I now just block off my air tubes? I have no EGR either. I don't see why not, but I wanted to get more opinions before doing it.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:41 AM
TECH Regular

Yes you can. But you will need LS1 Edit to delete it from your pcm so that you will not throw any codes.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:56 AM
10 Second Club

Yeah I have already deleted from when I had it tuned after the new motor. They are still hooked up, but just have a breather filter on the end of them. I can kind of smell exhaust when sitting at idle for a long time.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002SilverWS-6
Yes you can. But you will need LS1 Edit to delete it from your pcm so that you will not throw any codes.
Are you talking about AIR system. From what I know it is not linked to any sensor and requires no edit. It's purpose is to compansate for cat innefficiency at low temps such as start up to maintain proper emmission. this is achieved by air being injected into the exhaust to enrich the exhaust gases and help the cats untill they are warm.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4thGENRETARD
Are you talking about AIR system. From what I know it is not linked to any sensor and requires no edit. It's purpose is to compansate for cat innefficiency at low temps such as start up to maintain proper emmission. this is achieved by air being injected into the exhaust to enrich the exhaust gases and help the cats untill they are warm.

You got it right.... the EGR part of it is what throws the codes, the AIR system won't. Just cut out some sheet metal and use lots of red silicon for a gasket and you're all set. Did mine recently, here's a pic....

Old 11-17-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Toonz
You got it right.... the EGR part of it is what throws the codes, the AIR system won't. Just cut out some sheet metal and use lots of red silicon for a gasket and you're all set. Did mine recently, here's a pic....

im pretty sure there are codes related to the AIR system...

my 02 messed up one time and screwed itself when my car was stock...i had a check vavle go out so it let exhaust pass through the air system continually and ruined my air pump...

threw some codes bitching about an air system malfunction at the time

they replaced the pump, vavles, etc...
Old 11-17-2003, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the input. I am just going to do it since I have already had it edited for the egr and the smog pump removal never caused it to throw any codes. If it does I will just edit it though!
Old 11-18-2003, 02:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys. I suggest adding a piece of strapping material between the EGR tube and the first header bolt. This helps support the tube from "vibrating". That tube has been known to vibrate enough to knock the welds loose = exhaust leak. A friend learned this lesson the hard way.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Best way but the most work, remove headers and cut then weld those shut, no more problems, now you're full race system.