Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SS Hood Question - Functional Ram Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Default SS Hood Question - Functional Ram Air

I am in the middle of redoing an OEM SS hood and we removed the baffle areas and it's smooth now all the through. I have the FRA thing done and I believe the SS hood just pushes air into the front of the airbox. So I guess my questions are...

1) do that baffles in the stock hood matter? one of them was damaged so we removed it and then decided just to make both sides smooth.

2) I know the ram air portion of the SS hood doesn't help 'much' but combine with the FRA it should help with the IAT right?

3) Do I need a special intake box? or is my factory z28 setup sufficient?

4) If I do not need a special intake box can I use a lid in conjunction with the FRA and hood?

Thanks guys!!! I apologize if most of this has been asked before...I did search and I am still searching so some of the answers will be taken care of but the modified hood thing is what I am most interested in. Usually someone on here knows something about the design and if the baffles were for a good reason or to slow down the airflow.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
I am in the middle of redoing an OEM SS hood and we removed the baffle areas and it's smooth now all the through. I have the FRA thing done and I believe the SS hood just pushes air into the front of the airbox. So I guess my questions are...

1) do that baffles in the stock hood matter? one of them was damaged so we removed it and then decided just to make both sides smooth.

2) I know the ram air portion of the SS hood doesn't help 'much' but combine with the FRA it should help with the IAT right?

3) Do I need a special intake box? or is my factory z28 setup sufficient?

4) If I do not need a special intake box can I use a lid in conjunction with the FRA and hood?

Thanks guys!!! I apologize if most of this has been asked before...I did search and I am still searching so some of the answers will be taken care of but the modified hood thing is what I am most interested in. Usually someone on here knows something about the design and if the baffles were for a good reason or to slow down the airflow.
What baffles are you referring to?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:02 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99monguse
What baffles are you referring to?
Maybe I am using the wrong word for it... I circled what I am talking about in the image.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are baffles inside?

I'd guess the main reason is to strip water from the
air stream, in case it's raining hard etc. There are
drain holes in the sump that's where the air comes
out.

I'd like to see pics of what's up in there if you have
any detail shots.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How the hell are you removing them without damaging the hood?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99monguse
How the hell are you removing them without damaging the hood?
The hood is already damaged (not badly but it's getting redone and repainted). We just cut them out and will go back over it with the SMC stuff. I'm not a body guy... the guy I have working on it is a pro and does Corvette Restorations/collision repair for people who are more maticulous than I am.

jimmyblue - there is nothing inside that restricts the path (as mentioned I think I was calling it the wrong thing)... it does scatter the airflow inside so my assumption was that it was used to slow the air down. I've been wrong before, so I decided to ask here in case one of you guys did.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
11 Second Club

You'll never be able to get an OEM SS hood to work as well as a bottom feeding FTRA/SSRA/custom ramair. The hood is pretty, but the air path is just too convoluted to be very effective.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:04 PM
12 Second Club

I figured adding the additional air flow it might help? Can't hurt can it?
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
12 Second Club

cant hurt, wont help either, but do it anyway.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 AM
12 Second Club

haha...I like the way you think. Thanks
Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

FYI, those notches/baffles are there for frontal crash protection. The notch acts a stress riser so that the hood will buckle in that location instead of just being pushed thru the windshield and into your throat.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
FYI, those notches/baffles are there for frontal crash protection. The notch acts a stress riser so that the hood will buckle in that location instead of just being pushed thru the windshield and into your throat.
you do realize that these hoods are fiberglass. steel will buckle, fiberglass will splinter or just get shoved through the windshield into your throat.

Quick Reply: SS Hood Question - Functional Ram Air