Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pick a CATCH CAN

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I still say the Elite Engineering peice looks like a good unit..................
Old 08-01-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what happens when the built in PCV on the RevExtreme goes out? gotta buy a new one?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubbz33
I have the elite eng. one and its is a very nice catch can. They all install about the same, and it works great. Its also easy to empty.
same here I really like it alot. I got the black one so it kinda blends in and looks stock.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
what happens when the built in PCV on the RevExtreme goes out? gotta buy a new one?

Easy to remove & replace. less than $5 bucks.

Lots of nice looking cans that are only maginally effective, so thats where the decision comes in...looks & small size or functionality. Can't have both.....and if you want something close the Mike Norris one would be the the closest to that mix IMHO.

All one has to do is look at the internal design to clearly see why.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
what is the purpose for having the vent cap...still the system is supposed to be closed anf now it is open so the actual air metered in not going into the engine...it is pulling some from the vent and some from the tb, even if the amount is small, why have the vent i dont see the need...
The completely closed OEM system allows a small amount of oil (or with excess blowby ALOT) to enter the intake via the TB where it gets the filtered make-up air through reversion, so for those that want to eliminate that point of ingress you use the filtered breather. No other way to ensure oil is not entering the intake unless you ran an additional can in that line as well (which is the ideal NA set-up).
Old 08-02-2009, 01:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Tracy, got any pics of the bracket/mounting side of the Rev catch can?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Aaron...

after skimming through those threads I noticed A LOT of diagrams... which makes this subject even more confusing
I understand how confusing it can be. Depending on the valve cover, valley cover, and engine type, a number of factors are evaluated to ensure the PCV system will function correctly.

I don't have the ls6 conversion valley cover done... so looking at those diagrams didn't help me much. Just confused me more...

I've removed my AIR and EGR stuff...

one thing I don't wanna do, is bolt a catch can to the head covering up my nice AFR logo... I'm proud of that!
I have posted diagrams for LS1's without a valley cover PCV port. There are many diagrams because many different configurations are possible depending on the combination of parts.

Tell me where and how many ports you have and I'll post the correct diagram:
  • DS valve cover
  • PS valve cover
  • Throttle body
  • CAI

I'm with ShortChevy, as to how come the "others" don't work as well as the RevExtreme or the Saikou Michi? They seem the same....????
It's the internal design of the catch can that makes all the difference. Most other cans are either empty or use some type of material as a condensing agent for carry over oil in the PCV stream.

The key to a well functioning catch can is to design it so gravity can do it's job and allow the carry over oil to drop out of suspension. If the catch can is too small, it won't allow the PCV stream to slow down enough for gravity to work. If the can relies solely on a material acting as a condensing agent for carry over oil, they saturate quickly restricting flow and don't prevent carry over oil ingestion. There is nothing wrong with using a condensing agent, just not as the primary method of extraction. These cans don't employ a dispersion tube, so the PCV stream can simply flow from one port to the other without much resistance.

The magic number is 1 meter/second. PCV flow must slow to 1 m/s or less for as long as possible. This is the point at which carry over oil will drop out of suspension from the PCV stream. A small can has real problems decreasing flow to the specified minimum for any amount of time, if at all.

Both the RevX and SM use a chambered design with a long dispersion tube. This works to semi-separate the in/out ports of the can while the dispersion tube forces the PCV stream to the bottom of the can. This allows the stream to decrease velocity so gravity can work to remove carry over oil.

Also, I'm a bit confused on this valve cover breather thing... is that needed? and if I put one on there, what's to keep the oil from shooting out through that little cone filter?
TLewis4095 covered this in an earlier post.

also if anyone has any better pictures of their RevExtreme or Saikou Michi catch cans... please post them up. I'm really interested in the bracket/mounting area as well. So that I can figure out if I can mount it somewhere else than the head...
You can mount them anywhere you like. The head is just a common place many use. Mine are mounted on the head, so I can't help you here.

HTH,
Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
You seem very informative and like you know what the hell your talking about. I would like to know what is wrong with some of the other catch cans on the market. I liked the Rev Extreme and almost purchased one untill I came across a thread with people that had them. Alot of them were rattling and making noise. For instance, what is wrong with the Elite catch can. It seem to have all the features of the Rev without the built in PCV valve. Everything else looks good.
ShortChevy,
I think I covered this is the previous post where the OP as the same question. If it's still not clear or you have additional questions, post up.

Originally Posted by Pharcyde50
I'm going with the rev one. I work in bradenton so I'm just gonna stop by and pick one up tomorrow.
Pharcyde50,
Good choice.
Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

What exactly is the job of a catch can?
Old 08-02-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Animal323
What exactly is the job of a catch can?
Did you read anything in the thread?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

I changed my plan..

A friend of mine got this from Harbor Freight for $10..it's an Air Compressor Water/Air Seperator. I just removed the internals and attached the fittings for the Hoses to put it on the Car. It has 1/4" NPT Threads so that helps greatly. This one is bolting to the passenger's side Head, inline on the Vacumm Tube from the Valve Cover to the Intake. I have another one to put on the driver's side inline from the PCV Valve to the Intake. The clear part unscrews to empty it.

There was a guy on the other page that had something similar..I don't have EGR so I'm making a bracket to attach it to the Head.
Attached Thumbnails Pick a CATCH CAN-catch-can.jpg  
Old 08-03-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
I understand how confusing it can be. Depending on the valve cover, valley cover, and engine type, a number of factors are evaluated to ensure the PCV system will function correctly.

I have posted diagrams for LS1's without a valley cover PCV port. There are many diagrams because many different configurations are possible depending on the combination of parts.

Tell me where and how many ports you have and I'll post the correct diagram:
  • DS valve cover
  • PS valve cover
  • Throttle body
  • CAI

It's the internal design of the catch can that makes all the difference. Most other cans are either empty or use some type of material as a condensing agent for carry over oil in the PCV stream.

The key to a well functioning catch can is to design it so gravity can do it's job and allow the carry over oil to drop out of suspension. If the catch can is too small, it won't allow the PCV stream to slow down enough for gravity to work. If the can relies solely on a material acting as a condensing agent for carry over oil, they saturate quickly restricting flow and don't prevent carry over oil ingestion. There is nothing wrong with using a condensing agent, just not as the primary method of extraction. These cans don't employ a dispersion tube, so the PCV stream can simply flow from one port to the other without much resistance.

The magic number is 1 meter/second. PCV flow must slow to 1 m/s or less for as long as possible. This is the point at which carry over oil will drop out of suspension from the PCV stream. A small can has real problems decreasing flow to the specified minimum for any amount of time, if at all.

Both the RevX and SM use a chambered design with a long dispersion tube. This works to semi-separate the in/out ports of the can while the dispersion tube forces the PCV stream to the bottom of the can. This allows the stream to decrease velocity so gravity can work to remove carry over oil.

TLewis4095 covered this in an earlier post.

You can mount them anywhere you like. The head is just a common place many use. Mine are mounted on the head, so I can't help you here.

HTH,
Thanks man, you answered many of my questions!

I'll take an engine bay photo of my current setup, so that you may understand the plumbing of my particular PCV routing...

now.... the rest of you post more pics!
Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 PM
11 Second Club

Picks of my rev can I just picked up

Old 08-03-2009, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

That thing looks huge..
Old 08-03-2009, 07:11 PM
11 Second Club

1 qt It actually looks pretty stock.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

I've got a Rev Extreme..... It's a very nice product and works well.... I can't speak of the others though...
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 AM
TECH Junkie

nice... i was thinking of black as well!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

question? i have open breather filters in my valve covers in both sides is that bad to do? or will that work. I tried to follow what yall have said as much as i can but that alot of stuff lol..
Old 08-04-2009, 07:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
That thing looks huge..
It's a bit large I guess . . But i'll take functionality over looks anyday. Personally I like a clean engine bay and the looks/size of my REV can is fine. Keeping oil out of the intake is like a magic trick with these motors.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
It's a bit large I guess . . But i'll take functionality over looks anyday. Personally I like a clean engine bay and the looks/size of my REV can is fine. Keeping oil out of the intake is like a magic trick with these motors.
yeah just bypass the PVC and throw catch can on with a vent and call it a day...

Quick Reply: Pick a CATCH CAN