Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sticking Throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticking Throttle?

Well I bought a Ported and Polished throttle body then, it went to the body shop so I really didnt get the feel for the throttle body yet, when I got it back I noticed that is was hard to give it throttle, and it is only like that when the car is on, im guessing because of the airflow, but when its off its easy, so what could be causing this??
thank you
Old 08-01-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Mine does the same thing after a give it some gas. I haven't figured out what to do about it yet, but it seems to not be as bad as it used to be. That might just be me getting used to it though.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeahhh I think it is just because it is new or something butt im not sure
Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not because of the airflow or because it's new. The blade is most likely dragging in the bore. Hold it up to light and see if the blade is touching the bore anywhere. If it is, take it apart, and use some emery cloth on the outside of the blade where it's touching. Just go a little bit at a time, reinstall and retest.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

But he said it doesn't do it when the car is not running. If the blade was sticking on the bore it would do it when the car was off too. Mine is the same way and it gets worse when the motor is idling down after giving it gas. So, logic would tell us that the blade is being sucked shut because of the port and polish for some reason.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

After P&Ping my throttle body, I had the same issue. It's a result of the engine vacuum sucking the bottom of the blade further back in the throttle body bore. My throttle body felt fine when it was off the car, and I kept adjusting it, but when I put it on the car it kept sticking.

The blade must be centered in order to not hang up and stick.
Hold it up to the light, more than likely you will not be able to see light around the lower half of the blade.
Fortunately, I have a light table at work and was able to adjust the blade to be centered, and now it has no hang-up at all, even with the idle screw as far down as it can go.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CayenneRedV6
But he said it doesn't do it when the car is not running. If the blade was sticking on the bore it would do it when the car was off too. Mine is the same way and it gets worse when the motor is idling down after giving it gas. So, logic would tell us that the blade is being sucked shut because of the port and polish for some reason.
My truck was smooth as silk until it was running. The vacuum from the engine was enough to make it stick. I used the method I posted earlier in the thread and have had zero issues since.

BTW, my truck did this without a ported TB. 2000 Z-71, the tb's are the same FWIW.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Soo all I really need to do is adjust it
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Correct. Vacuum will pull the blade closer to the housing. Another key thing to look out for is if it has the halfshaft mod and reusing the stock blade screws without washers. The stock blade screws are tapered to fit the front side of the throttle shaft, now that the front part is no longer there the taper is pusshing the blade to one side when its tightened down. Very common.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Actually I never loosened the screws I just sanded the parts that were sticking and now it is 100% better, then I threw some polish on that hoe and it's running good now