Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank pulley fell off!!! Damm

Old 08-03-2009, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Crank pulley fell off!!! Damm

ok so I thought I was having a good day went to the movies everythings going great come back here this freaking ticking noise mind you car never made any noises.....so having my car mail order tuned by Frost so I go to do a run on the highway out of nowhere under wot bammmmmmmmmm ******* thing comes flying by me...Im coasting to a stop thinking just blem my bitch up (****)so open the hood no belt no pulley bot nothing .... here's my Q do these bolts ever just break or come loose hope it aint striped !
Old 08-03-2009, 06:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need more info. Are we talking the stock bolt? Used or new? Did you recently have or change the pulley?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:00 AM
12 Second Club

My guess is the pulley was aftermarket and either you reused the bolt or didn't tighten it correctly. Pulley's don't just fall off.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
My guess is the pulley was aftermarket and either you reused the bolt or didn't tighten it correctly. Pulley's don't just fall off.
here's the info stock pulley stock bolt never even touched by me ever just came out on a fluk of bad luck i guess ...well everything's back on an made sure it 's tight now with threadlocker bitch better not come of again
Old 08-03-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

dam!
Old 08-03-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was the crank snout damaged at all? Happened to be on my blower car and ended up being a very expensive rebuild. I hope you pressed the pulley back tight. It needs 240lbs .
Old 08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jimmy P
Was the crank snout damaged at all? Happened to be on my blower car and ended up being a very expensive rebuild. I hope you pressed the pulley back tight. It needs 240lbs .
thank god nothing happened had a slight scoring but fine ....put it back on torgued down close to 240lbs with lots of thredlocker....a arm got chewed alittle alot of oil all over but thats it....
Old 08-03-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i know the feeling. on a previous car i had (damn imports), i was coming around a corner pretty quick and all of a sudden i lost power steering and heard a commotion. then see my power steering pulley do a ricer flyby on me.. so i chased it down (about a block) where it settled on some grass.

i have no clue how, but i found the bolt and slapped that thing right back on in about 15 minutes with some vice grips and drove 30miles home.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
i know the feeling. on a previous car i had (damn imports), i was coming around a corner pretty quick and all of a sudden i lost power steering and heard a commotion. then see my power steering pulley do a ricer flyby on me.. so i chased it down (about a block) where it settled on some grass.

i have no clue how, but i found the bolt and slapped that thing right back on in about 15 minutes with some vice grips and drove 30miles home.
plenty of honda's that i had did the same thing but never had a problem with gm before like this the old chevy motors use to come with a key or pin something to keep it straight wonder why gm skiped that on ls engines like the shitty pushrods they use for these motors....that the next thing to do ricer flyby thats great
Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Teching In

shortly after i bought my car i found that the crank bolt was missing. Replaced with stock bolt. found it loose about a year later. did a motor swap used an arp bolt on a different crank and it still came loose. ended up the hole on the pully was stretched and had to get a new one. no problems since.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by nerisls1z
like the shitty pushrods they use for these motors....
You think that a roller cam/pushrod setup is shitty ....... ??? lol
Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
No, I am sure he is saying the stock pushrods are known for being weak. Which they are.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No, I am sure he is saying the stock pushrods are known for being weak. Which they are.
I'd hope so
Old 08-04-2009, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
not the whole setup cheap pushrods , an gm being dicks for not putting a key or pin on the crank, wish gm would of thought alittle more just my 02 thats it
Old 08-05-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Never seen this before, wow!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

GM can't be all bad. I mean come on they mass produced an engine that was "touched by God" on top of that they are affordable for guys like us. To the OP shouldn't you have put this in the street racing section under topic "death by crank pulley" J/K man glad you got it fixed with no permanent damage
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's some wisdom in making the most easily-replaced component be the weakest one.

Go ahead and put in supertough pushrods, now your valves are the weak link.

Over-rev the engine on a missed shift, valves float and kiss the piston(s), and you're pulling the head. Me, I'd prefer replacing pushrods personally.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

look i love my car more than anything ...like i say a car is your second wife bitch always sucking money out your pocket only positive thing is you can beat the **** out the bitch and she'll never call the cops...

i do get what you guys are saying though

Search this Thread