Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla XR1 and LoudMouth or Borla Catback?

Old 11-20-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Borla XR1 and LoudMouth or Borla Catback?

Loudmouth is too loud with headers and no cats. I'm going for musclecar sound with a moderate noise level. I was going to replace the LM resonator with a 15" XR1 round muffler but I think it will still be too loud and now I have the chance to buy a used borla catback in good shape for $450 shipped. I like the idea of having the catback because I can add an electric cutout and run in quiet or loud but it sounds unrefined when open because it is straight pipe. On the other hand the XR1 sounds pretty good, from what I hear, but might still be too loud.
As far as price goes, I can sell the LM for $150 so the Borla will cost me $300 and the XR1 is $150 shipped and $50 to weld on, so $200. Not much difference.

I guess the ultimate would be the XR1 in the I-pipe of a Borla Catback.

Anyone heard both. What should I go with? I'm just worried the XR1 will be too loud still. Can anyone with the "BorlaMouth" and no cats vouch for the sound level? BTW: we have a new sound ordinance law.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:20 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a BorlaMouth and no cats, but I used a XR1 oval-offset muffler, not the round one; still 15 inches long and a straight through design. I love this setup! If you keep it below half throttle, it's very quiet. But put your foot in it, and its the loud, NASCAR sound all the way!
Old 11-20-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a borla xr-1 welded in the rear of my loudmouth with the passenger side being a dead tip. I love the sound, it's quiets my car down a lot during normal driving and sounds awesome at WOT. BTW, I have a 388 engine with grot 1 7/8's and no cats and the XR-1 does a great job of quieting it down.
Old 11-21-2003, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I think I am going to keep the loudmouth and add the XR1 but now I'm confused on which one to buy? I see a 12" oval ($130), a 16" oval ($150) and a 15" round ($110). Does anyone else sell them cheaper?
Cal: Did you buy the oval-offset muffler on Borla's website and where did you mount it? How much was shipping and how long did it take you to get it? Your sig shows you have a LoudMouth so I'm assuming you replaced the resonator but how would you use an offset muffler? Anyway, do the oval and round mufflers sound any different? I would guess the ovals would be quieter because they have more packing but I would think it would hit the torque arm (round is 5" diameter, ovals are 4.5" x 8")? I hope everyone is right about the sound. I'm kind of looking forward to it. Thanks.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Corsa! King of catbacks... hehe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla XR1 and LoudMouth or Borla Catback?