Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coil arc question

Old 08-04-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil arc question

I was getting a SES light, read it with a obd2 code reader, says misfire on cyl 3. Now I replaced the plug, the wire, and now the coil pack. The miss is still there, my question is if you remove the plug wire from the coil should it arc from the coil post to the top of the plastic coil? I replaced the wire and removed a plug wire from on of my old coil pack, and it does not do this. Is the new coil pack bad? Or is the old coil pack bad?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Probably neither since you have the same problem with both. The spark will arc to the shortest distance of a ground path it can find, differences in the plastic could have more or less resistance to ground causing one to arc to the housing and the other to not. but if you have a misfire with both coils I wouldnt think the coil is not the issue. What you should do is swap the coil plug and wire with another and see if the misfire follows, that would be a much better way to single out ignition, if it does then you can start to just swap the plug then the wire and so on. If it stays and cyl 3 could be a engine, wiring, or injector issue.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:32 AM

thx, I will try to swap the coils today.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:20 PM

ok I got it fixed, I ended up with 2 bad coils. I took off the second pack and found alot of corrosion under it, cleaned it up bolted in a new one and the car is back to normal. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

cool glad to help.

Search this Thread