Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 TransAm Alternator issues, help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 98 TransAm Alternator issues, help?

I've done a search and the answers are confusing. I have a 98 TA with what I believe is an alternator issue. Symtems: Fluctuating charge meter, lights pulsating and the dash meter never reads above 13 volts, also the main belt tensioner was also constantly moving back and forth about a 1/2 inch.
I took it to Auto Zone and they tested the alternator and battery in the car. It showed the battery was bad but the alternator was ok. I bought a new battery and installed it. For about 15 seconds the belt tensioner held steady but then started moving again. ( I replaced the tensioner a couple days ago without any change). I cleaned the grounds coming off the battery but no change.
I pulled the alternator, Delco Remy (replacement?) and noticed the exciter wire had been spliced. Took connector apart and noticed a slight wiggle in the metal connector on the end. Made another wire and spliced it in with a butt connector up by where the wiring ties into the main bundle.
I put everything back together, no pulsating lights, tensioner is steady but now it appears my battery is not charging, needle in the caution area 11 volts or less. My searching has shown you can use a truck alternator (2005 Chevy 2500 w/6.0?) It appears the same except does not have the boss for the smaller rear bolt. Will it work?
Also, my searching has shown that the wiring for the 98 is different than the 09-02. Does the red wire (exciter) go to the PCM or somewhere else?
I've read about placing a resistor in line and running it to 12 volts keyed and as also read that this wire should only see 4-5 volts, confusing. Can anyone help.

Thanks
John

Last edited by jhmws6; 08-06-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: grama
Old 08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey John i am in the same boat as you I've tested my battery and it seems to be fine. I think the diodes in the alt are going bad..

Read my thread, tell me what you think. I got some help but not much.

We are experiencing the same symptoms

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...me-inside.html
Old 08-06-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Torchd,

You stated in your post that you had some corrosion on your positive terminal and that when you cleaned it seemed to correct it for a little while, right? Have you checked to see if maybe your cable is corroded on the inside? Just a thought, I'll let you know what I come up with, I need to fix this problem.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jhmws6
Torchd,

You stated in your post that you had some corrosion on your positive terminal and that when you cleaned it seemed to correct it for a little while, right? Have you checked to see if maybe your cable is corroded on the inside? Just a thought, I'll let you know what I come up with, I need to fix this problem.
A common problem is that the positve battery wire gets corroded.. You would need to replace the whole cable. That will prolly be my next step to do....

Did you replace your positive cable?
Old 08-06-2009, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm pulling the alternator tonight and having it rebuilt tomorrow into a true one wire. That will eliminate any issues with the exciter wire. I'll let you know if this cures my problems.

John
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I'm pulling the alternator tonight and having it rebuilt tomorrow into a true one wire. That will eliminate any issues with the exciter wire. I'll let you know if this cures my problems.

John
Yes please let me know if it cures you problem... Also if it works, let me know what kit you used to turn it into a one wire..

BTW did you replace your positve wire... From the battery to the right side of the car that goes onto the fuse block?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

Not yet, I'll check tonight, and I'm having a place called Ploener's do the rebuild on the alternator.

John
Old 08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Default a couple more things ruled out

Well my positive cable is fine, checked voltage at battery and again at alternater, they are the same. Also checked to make sure voltage is at the exciter (sp) which has between 6-7 volts. Alternator is out and will be rebuilt tomorrow.

John
Old 08-06-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well my positive cable is fine, checked voltage at battery and again at alternater, they are the same. Also checked to make sure voltage is at the exciter (sp) which has between 6-7 volts. Alternator is out and will be rebuilt tomorrow.

John
What was your battery reading?? 13.8-13.9... How do you check voltage at the alt?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Battery was only reading 12.4 volts and by switching the red lead from the positive side of the battery to the post at the bottom of the alternator (where line from battery connects) it also read 12.4, so all the voltage from the battery is being supplied to the alternator. I figure if the cable was corroded I would see a difference it voltage between the 2. Check the thread by Pro Mouse tonight ref. check gauge light.... I explained how I checked the exciter wire.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Battery was only reading 12.4 volts and by switching the red lead from the positive side of the battery to the post at the bottom of the alternator (where line from battery connects) it also read 12.4, so all the voltage from the battery is being supplied to the alternator. I figure if the cable was corroded I would see a difference it voltage between the 2. Check the thread by Pro Mouse tonight ref. check gauge light.... I explained how I checked the exciter wire.
Do you have a link to that thread?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

not sure how to add link, it is about four threads down from this one "Check gage light after new alternator install, why?" thread started by Pro Mouse
Old 08-07-2009, 12:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

not sure how to add link, it is about four threads down from this one "Check gage light after new alternator install, why?" thread started by Pro Mouse
Thanks i will go look for it now!!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:58 AM
Staging Lane

Default new update

Dropped the alternator off this morning should have it back this afternoon and car up and running tonight. Had them check the alternator and at first it was working fine, putting out about 105 amps. After about a minute output shutdown. The tech thinks whats happening is that the brushes are worn and barely making contact and when the case heats up it expands and the brushes loose contact. keeping my fingers crossed.

John
Old 08-07-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dropped the alternator off this morning should have it back this afternoon and car up and running tonight. Had them check the alternator and at first it was working fine, putting out about 105 amps. After about a minute output shutdown. The tech thinks whats happening is that the brushes are worn and barely making contact and when the case heats up it expands and the brushes loose contact. keeping my fingers crossed.

John
My buddy said the same thing.. Either the diodes are bad or the brushes are dirty..

I am intrested to see what happens when you get yours back now.. Keep me posted!!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Talking Success

Well I picked up my rebuilt, true 1 wire alternator and installed it. Charging 14.4 volts and no issues. My pulsating lights and tensioner have gone away. Just taped up the exciter wire tucked it away. The shop put a cap over the 4 pin connector on the alternator. Cost was 98.99

John
Old 08-07-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well I picked up my rebuilt, true 1 wire alternator and installed it. Charging 14.4 volts and no issues. My pulsating lights and tensioner have gone away. Just taped up the exciter wire tucked it away. The shop put a cap over the 4 pin connector on the alternator. Cost was 98.99

John
So what does that mean that it is a 1 wire alt now? does the alt work differently now? I do not know too much about them.. So what area the from the factory???

What were you experiencing with the tensioner again?

Drive it more to see if the 'problems' coem back...
Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

The alternator has only one wire, the cable from the battery. It no longer uses the exciter wire that would normally plug into the top of the alternator. My tensioner was also moving back and forth, I'm not sure but due to my issues with the alternator I think maybe the motor was surging a little bit? Anybody else have any ideas about the issue with the tensioner? I let you know if any issues pop up.

John
Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Talking So far, so good

Drtove it yesterday and today, everything is good. Its great not having to keep checking the amp meter and no more pulsating lights,
Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Drtove it yesterday and today, everything is good. Its great not having to keep checking the amp meter and no more pulsating lights,
Lucky you.. And man that is soooooooooooo annoying looking at it, espically coming to a stop light. The volts drop, ALL lights dim.. Man i can not wait to get mine fixed then

Quick Reply: 98 TransAm Alternator issues, help?