Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on ARH/Y-pipe installation - Rear O2s

Old 08-06-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Question on ARH/Y-pipe installation - Rear O2s

Hey guys currently installing my ARHs. Last night after work I got to pull off alll the OEM crap, and today I will be installing the headers, y and GMMG exhaust I noticed on the y-pipe that they have bungs for the rear o2s. On my old SS I had gone through 2 different y pipes which didn't have bungs, and got the code deleted when I had the car tuned (instead of buying expensive simulators). Wouldn't I still throw a code if I go ahead and install the OEM o2s into the y-pipe? Not sure if anyone just plugged the bungs up. I am installing Bosch 13111s for the front o2s going into headers so I could just use the extensions for the rears since it doesnt look like they would reach.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could either plug up the rear holes, or toss the O2s in. Your probably going to throw a code simply because the readings are so vastly different than normal, even if you elected to run catalysts. Tuning is your best option by far. And if you don't have cats i would just plug the rear O2 bungs with a short fat bolt from the hardware store.

And I found your statement about tuning being the cheap way out (in lieu of buying simulators) strange. Tuning generally costs more than simulators.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the information Ice. My old car was the one that had the o2s tuned out, I have a WS6 now. And Lethal Performance charges only $45 to tune out o2s and do other little things (160 tstat retune, rev limiter, etc)
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would plug up the bungs and get the rear o2's tuned out.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah i edited my post after i read everything through again. But yea JS is right just plug them up as they are useless anyways. stupid tattle-tale rear O2s
Old 08-06-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ice78Transam
Yeah i edited my post after i read everything through again. But yea JS is right just plug them up as they are useless anyways. stupid tattle-tale rear O2s
lol tattle tell o2s! >
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

Well I stayed in late at work today but I got to get the headers in before it got dark. Everything slide right in, only had to remove the head shield on drivers side Is the rubber sleeve on the wiring of the Bosch 13111's heat resistant? I routed them around the headers but they are touching in a couple of areas.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

no they are not resistant make sure u tie them where they are completly off the headers.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, keep them as far from heat as possible. That goes for everything on the underside of the car. I like to use heat shielding tape over things that i dont want to get hot. Fuel lines, brake lines, anything like that.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chon79
Hey guys currently installing my ARHs. Last night after work I got to pull off alll the OEM crap, and today I will be installing the headers, y and GMMG exhaust I noticed on the y-pipe that they have bungs for the rear o2s. On my old SS I had gone through 2 different y pipes which didn't have bungs, and got the code deleted when I had the car tuned (instead of buying expensive simulators). Wouldn't I still throw a code if I go ahead and install the OEM o2s into the y-pipe? Not sure if anyone just plugged the bungs up. I am installing Bosch 13111s for the front o2s going into headers so I could just use the extensions for the rears since it doesnt look like they would reach.
My Jet Hot Catted Y has bungs for the rear O2's as well. When I installed it (along with the Jet Hot LT's) I went ahead and installed the rear O2's to see if I could save from tripping an SES Code. (At least until I could get them tuned out.) It worked for quite a while, but eventually I got a "catalyst performance low" code (I don't remember the # at the moment.) I know with an ORY you have no place to install the rear O2's and you get an SES light after about 20 miles of driving without them. (PO140 and PO160.) My SES light has come on only once in the 200-300 miles since the install. I cleared it and it hasn't been back. If I were you I would install the rear O2's for the time being, until you can get them tuned out. Then use the plugs once you have them shut off. Your call, man.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah...be sure you post up once you complete your install. Video or sound clip, if possible. I'd love to hear what your exact setup sounds like.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys and yeah the car is running good. The standard GMMG tips are on order and haven't come in yet, as well as my Corsa Clones. But without tips it still sounds great

I would record a video now to upload and show but I am actually here at the Apple Store while they are fixing my iPhone 3gs. This morning it decided to give me nothing but a white screen, POS.

Search this Thread