Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Victor Jr Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Victor Jr Install

This intake has been out for a while now, but I couldn't find too much information about the install while I was doing my research. So I decided to take some pictures along the way and maybe help out the next person thinking about using this intake.

I went into this install with a LS6 intake, stock fuel rails w/ 30lb injectors, ported throttle body, TNT nitrous kit, and a de-screened MAF sensor. New setup will be a Victor JR intake, Edelbrock fuel rails w/ 42lb injectors, ZEX plate system w/ HSW stand alone, Aaron’s elbow, Nick Williams throttle body, and no MAF sensor.

First thing I did was removing all the top end stuff and expose the cowl.

The brake booster will connect to the 3/8npt to -6an elbow. I used this fitting because I was planning on making a new line for the brake booster, but I got lazy. So instead I just clamped the stock hose right onto the AN fitting, lol. I used a 1/8npt to 1/4inch barb with a vacuum hose that teed off for my MAP sensor and HVAC vacuum line. I think if you buy it new it comes with everything you need, but I got my intake used so I didn't have any of this hardware. I deleted my PCV and EVAP system during this install, and I had already removed my AIR and EGR before so I wasn't worried about connecting any of that stuff up.

The following pictures show how much I needed to cut out for this setup to fit. Keep in mind that the ZEX plate raised it up higher. I used a 3" cutting wheel for this and I was kind of in a rush, lol. I'll get around to cleaning up the edges and putting some type of liner later on to try and make it look nicer.

Then I began finding places where I could mount my solenoids and went ahead and hooked up all the nitrous and fuel hoses to check for any leaks. Once I new I didn’t have any leaks from any of my fuel fittings, I bolted the intake, plate, and elbow down.

The elbow I had wasn’t machined for a throttle body gasket, so I just cut one out from a Mr. Gasket sheet. If your elbow doesn’t have a place to mount your throttle body cable, just drill a couple of holes in the side, cut the bolts flush so they don’t protrude on the inside, and use some silicone to seal it up. You can also drill a hole for the IAT sensor, but that can be mounted pretty much anywhere you want it to.

I could have probably ran my intake hose from my volant all the way to my throttle body, but I jumped the gun and cut it before I figured out how I could do it. So I ended up having to use a coupler to connect them together. Maybe after a while I'll order another 1ft piece and run it all the way. A 4" hose fits perfect.

Lucky for me, my stand alone fuel system came in so I went ahead and installed that today as well.

I still have a few things to wire up, as well as to reinstall the trimming along the cowl, bend my purge lines, and give it a good wash and wax, but I'm already in love with the way this looks.

I have to use a speed density tune now, and I only had a chance to go do a little bit of part throttle tuning today. Hopefully I can get around to finishing it all up this weekend and do some wide open throttle pulls. And in all honesty, I didn't expect much gains over the LS6 intake at first because of what I had read on this board about it not performing well down low, but I was really impressed with how my car felt. It felt much more responsive without having to give it much gas at all, and that's because my part throttle tuning was mostly under 3000rpms. And I'm still on stock cubes so I can't wait for the day I can get a real monster underneath this setup.

Last edited by rmata; 08-13-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cool build man. that set up looks sweet. how long till its on the road? you do your own tuning?
Old 08-13-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Well I drove it around for about 20 minutes today and made a few flashes to the computer, but I had to park it so I could come back to work. Hopefully this weekend I'll head back down to Kingsville and finish it all up. And yeah, hptuners ftw
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats cool dude. how hard is tuning to learn? any books classes you'd recomend? just curious
Old 08-13-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SHovV
thats cool dude. how hard is tuning to learn? any books classes you'd recomend? just curious
Just research and talk with people who know their stuff. I've had hptuners since it first came out and I still consider myself a noob, lol. But there isn't really any place to go local, so I recommend it for anybody around our area who plans on always modding thier vehicle. Or lately Robbie seems to be tuning a lot of cars so that's always an option too. Either way, it's the same steps for every vehicle and every setup. It's just getting from one step to the next during the tuning process that can be challenging sometimes.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The intake looks really cool, the engine bay looks a little rough and beat up though

Should be interesting to see if you have any gains with this intake, I have heard numerous people with losses in 1/4 ET's with this intake setup. It really is more of a 600 hp plus intake with a high compression stroker or forced induction vehicle. Good Luck, I think you will be switching back to a LS6 or Fast after this though. It just isnt meant for a stock cubic inch motor.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
The intake looks really cool, the engine bay looks a little rough and beat up though

Should be interesting to see if you have any gains with this intake, I have heard numerous people with losses in 1/4 ET's with this intake setup. It really is more of a 600 hp plus intake with a high compression stroker or forced induction vehicle. Good Luck, I think you will be switching back to a LS6 or Fast after this though. It just isnt meant for a stock cubic inch motor.
Yeah, my car is by no means a show car. I've turned a lot of wrenches and scratched it up over the past 7yrs. I won't be going back to an LS6 or a fast since this is something I've wanted to do since the last intake I destroyed with a nitrous backfire. I really don't think it'll be any worse. I'll have the new track times to compare it to soon enough
Old 08-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Teching In

lol, theres always someone to criticize, ANYWAYS nice info man. Its looks like a good setup im sure with a good tune and that nitrous setup you'll be happy with future ET's.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice write up. Don't let people get you down over the engine bay. It looks the same as mine. LOL Lots of wrench dings.

If you don't like the Vic Jr, do not swap it out. Get a cam spec'd for the intake. That's the one thing I wish I would have done when I did my setup.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jmill96Z
Nice write up. Don't let people get you down over the engine bay. It looks the same as mine. LOL Lots of wrench dings.

If you don't like the Vic Jr, do not swap it out. Get a cam spec'd for the intake. That's the one thing I wish I would have done when I did my setup.
Thanks. Hopefully it'll be fine the way it is for the time being. It won't be until probably next summer that I can get a 408 underneath it, which will definately have a custom cam for this intake. I just wanted to get all the top end stuff out of the way so I don't have to spend such a big chunk of money all at once. I like to budget myself, lol.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

good post ^_^

how much for the intake rails and elbow if that`s all that is needed to put it on say a stock Z28 just for an example
Old 08-14-2009, 07:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bader-X
good post ^_^

how much for the intake rails and elbow if that`s all that is needed to put it on say a stock Z28 just for an example
Here is an approximate cost break down for a Vic Jr. swap. I'm bored at work so I'll even include links when I can LOL

This is for an absolute stock car wanting to swap

Vic Jr with fuel rails -----$419 from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EDL-29086/

Intake Elbow-----------$225 from Intakeelbows.com

90mmTB ----------Any from here $300ish

Aeromotive Fuel Rail adapter---------39.95 from Summit

6ft of -8 fuel line -----------$29.99 from Jegs
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Pro-...52578/10002/-1

Fittings:

2ea. 90* -8 fittings @ 15.99ea.-----$31.98
1ea. 45* -8 fitting ---------------$14.99
2ea. -8 straight fittings @ 6.99ea.--$13.98
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-AN-H...52556/10002/-1

The below fittings I believe are 3/8 NPT It has been a while since I set mine up. Someone correct me if I'm wrong
1ea. -8 to NPT 90* fitting-------$8.99
1ea. -8 to NPT straight fitting---------$4.69
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-AN-H...52556/10002/-1
1ea. Pipe NPT plug -----------$3.99
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-NPT-...52570/10002/-1

The gaskets on your stock LS1 intake will more than likely be shot, so you'll need a gasket set.

Gasket set -------------- ~$75.00
https://store.gmperformanceparts.com/store/SelectProd.do?prodId=8087&redir=true&manufacturer= GM&name=Intake%20Manfold%20Gasket%20(LS1%20&%20LS6 )&model=<!--12533587-->

Now, you will need a 4150 carb gasket and carb studs

Studs (These are ARP, but they can be had cheaper)---------$14.99
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AR...t=ARP-200-2401

Carb gasket (Can be had at parts store) --------- ~$5.00

That is about it depending on how you want to get the TB connected to the lid. Fernco from a hardware store is the way I went. I had about $20 in my setup.

So the total invested in the swap is----$1187.55 LOL I thought this was supposed to be cheaper than a FAST setup?

Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

with the price of the elbow and TB you might as well of went with a 4150tb
Old 08-14-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

that plate is gonna hit hard lol When r we going to see some numbers on it?
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Regular

I bought my intake and elbow for $475. About another $25 for nuts, bolts, and fittings for it. Traded a friend one of my 15lb nitrous bottles for his set of fuel rails strait up. Traded another one a pair of dual valvesprings and $175 for the throttle body. I used 1-3/8npt to 1/8 reducer and 3 - 3/8 to -6an for my fuel rail fittings and the Russel quick connect adapter for the stock fuel line with jegs -6an 200 series to make my hoses. I had enough with 3 ft and total cost of all that was about $100. Sold my old intake and throttle body for $400 and it cost about $100 to upgrade to the 42lb injectors...So I only spent about $500 out of pocket for this switch. Figure in the upgrade to the new nitrous setup and I spent about another $700 out of pocket. So total cost for me was about $1200, but considering it's an upgrade to a much more stout setup and I even have a stand alone fuel system now, I think I made out pretty good.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
that plate is gonna hit hard lol When r we going to see some numbers on it?
I hope so. A lot of my friends around here are giving me a hard time because it's a ZEX kit. They see all the local mustang guys who run a weak-*** 100-125 shot with those little zex kits with the built in noids, but I'm sure a 150-200 hit from this plate is a whole different ball game. I choose this plate beacuse I really like the peremiter design and I've seen this big noids in person before. They're good for up to a 300 shot so I'm sure it's gotta be pretty decent. I think they'll be in for a suprise when I hit the switch, lol. And I'm off on Sunday so I should be able to finish up all the wiring and get most of the tuning done. Then if I'm off on the 22nd I'll head up to San Antonio for the Index Shootout. But I'll probably just do motor passes so I can really nail the WOT tune and also be able to compete in the 11sec index.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks alot

looks good and it will scare some people when you pop up the hood

and for the price and scratching my heads on bolts and fittings ... a ported fast 92 to me.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Regular

well keep in mind that if you want to upgrade your fuel rails, you'll need all those fittings regardless of what intake you choose. The fast is nice though
Old 08-15-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

I went from LS6 to vic jr and then back to the ls6. Top end power fells the same it's the lower and mid range loss I didn't like. The vic's do look good under the hood though.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
I went from LS6 to vic jr and then back to the ls6. Top end power fells the same it's the lower and mid range loss I didn't like. The vic's do look good under the hood though.
I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I finally got around to doing some WOT tuning today and I was really impressed. It felt the same as the ls6 did down low (maybe even a little bit better) and once I got over 3000rpms the vj pulled way harder than the ls6 ever did. I'm wondering if maybe some of these people with negative feedback aren't tuning for the different intake setup.

Quick Reply: My Victor Jr Install