Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on induction/intakes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default opinions on induction/intakes?

my entire induction is still stock after all these years and i want it all at least 85mm (lid->intake). want to finally ditch my ls1 for a bigger, more breathable setup. i don't have the funds for a FAST anything so that's outta the question. i've basically narrowed it down to an 85mm setup and have looked at BBK 85mm, power products 85mm (like weiand), or possibly an LS2 90mm setup. but i've read issues with fitment on the LS2 but that could just be fiction. i'm leaning towards the BBK, i like the look, the charts/numbers, and the price. my setup current is below.

induction: 75mm lid, maf (stock), 75-78mm?? P/P shaner2 TB, LS1 intake w/ plugged EGR
bolt-ons: macs/ORY, slp d/d with cutout before axle
internal: F1 cam, vig3600

i've bolded the internal since IMO it really determines the effectiveness/investment of the upgrade. i've got SLP LT's and custom 3" duals in my garage that will go on within the next few months.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Honestly I've been reading that you wouldn't want to go with a LS2 intake. What I've been reading is that it's the worst intake for the LS motors unless you port them to match. You may not have funds for the fast but what about going with an LS6 intake. I have one of those on my 98 and it helped me out alot you can feel the difference. I seen a BBK SSI Intake and BBK TB for 425 in the classifieds. You might want to check over there. I'd say get the LS6 intake, Keep the shaner TB Get a Lid you could get a SLP lid and get the throttle body bypass and get a Tune. But if you want more power then get some different heads without aftermarket heads it would be a waste of money to get a fast. But it's all up to you, or if you just want to see a little more hp but 600 or more dollars to get 10 or 15 hp to me is a waste of money. My .02 cents
Old 08-16-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KL20
my entire induction is still stock after all these years and i want it all at least 85mm (lid->intake). want to finally ditch my ls1 for a bigger, more breathable setup. i don't have the funds for a FAST anything so that's outta the question. i've basically narrowed it down to an 85mm setup and have looked at BBK 85mm, power products 85mm (like weiand), or possibly an LS2 90mm setup. but i've read issues with fitment on the LS2 but that could just be fiction. i'm leaning towards the BBK, i like the look, the charts/numbers, and the price. my setup current is below.

induction: 75mm lid, maf (stock), 75-78mm?? P/P shaner2 TB, LS1 intake w/ plugged EGR
bolt-ons: macs/ORY, slp d/d with cutout before axle
internal: F1 cam, vig3600

i've bolded the internal since IMO it really determines the effectiveness/investment of the upgrade. i've got SLP LT's and custom 3" duals in my garage that will go on within the next few months.
save your money and go with an LS6 intake.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
save your money and go with an ls6 intake.
^^^^x3
Old 08-16-2009, 11:38 AM
11 Second Club

That's what I had in mind originally, but the ls6 is 78mm and the bbk is an 85mm and ported. To me it seems the bbk would make more power. Plus I've got a TNT kit I will eventually put on and the bbk has available runner ports and the casting is stated to handle spray better. ????
Old 08-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Honestly I've been reading that you wouldn't want to go with a LS2 intake. What I've been reading is that it's the worst intake for the LS motors unless you port them to match. You may not have funds for the fast but what about going with an LS6 intake. I have one of those on my 98 and it helped me out alot you can feel the difference. I seen a BBK SSI Intake and BBK TB for 425 in the classifieds. You might want to check over there. I'd say get the LS6 intake, Keep the shaner TB Get a Lid you could get a SLP lid and get the throttle body bypass and get a Tune. But if you want more power then get some different heads without aftermarket heads it would be a waste of money to get a fast. But it's all up to you, or if you just want to see a little more hp but 600 or more dollars to get 10 or 15 hp to me is a waste of money. My .02 cents
Everything he is saying is exactly what I was thinking. I was told that the bbk and the weiand are power robbers because they hold much more heat over the stock plastic intake designs. Go ls6 intake its one of the most under rated intakes these things work! Keep the tb you have.Since your working on a budget I would get my stock heads worked thunder racing does them for maybe $500 and they say that they would perfer them any day over many of the cheaper aftermarket heads out here!
Old 08-16-2009, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

I am reluctant of taking off the heads. I've seen many friends cars progressively deteriorate once heads came off. Plus I don't have much desire to get head work. But I might entertain the option if I knew the possible power gains with the best value headwork and my setup. Any ideas?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowman2005
Everything he is saying is exactly what I was thinking. I was told that the bbk and the weiand are power robbers because they hold much more heat over the stock plastic intake designs. Go ls6 intake its one of the most under rated intakes these things work! Keep the tb you have.Since your working on a budget I would get my stock heads worked thunder racing does them for maybe $500 and they say that they would perfer them any day over many of the cheaper aftermarket heads out here!
Heat soak is BS the air does not stay in the intake long enough to be heat soaked. Heat soak happens after the engine is shut off. The OP wants to go bigger to do that he will have to move up to an aftermarket intake. An ls6 intake with a 78mm tb will not flow as much as a 85/85 set up like mention above. Having the heads reworked is not going to benifit the op much if his intake and tb bottle neck the setup.Get you an 85/85 setup and sell your p/p tb.There are plenty of cam only cars on here that make big power with stock heads.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

I don't care about power, i'm a stalled auto so I make low power. But my stock internal best was 11.8@117, and cammed was 11.38@121. I think I'm gonna try a second time to get the attention of the guy selling the bbk 85 intake/tb. I know it will make a world of difference once the better lid, LTs, and duals go on!