Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$60 for alternator install + battery worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $60 for alternator install + battery worth it?

So, i got my car to the shop and it's the alternator...They also said i should change the battery as well...Should i do this?

Also, is $60 total in labor reasonable for a alternator + battery change?

It doesn't seem to bad to me, but i think it sucks i need both a battery and alternator...
Old 08-17-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Teah $60 seems pretty fair for changing out the alternator. But why don't you change it yourself, it's not that hard
Old 08-17-2009, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't pay someone to put that stuff on its too easy.. Are you Supplyin the Battery? Or are they?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm supplying both...I got the parts wholesale...

I'm just not mechanically incline really and don't have any tools...So, i figured $60 wasn't much to save the hassle...If their was some guide online i would try and do it myself...

Also, do you think it's necessary for me to change the battery as well?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

its simple man there are several articles on how to do it. the alternator is only 3 bolts, all you need for it is a ratchet, 13mm+15mm sockets.

Crank the tensioner, remove serpentine belt
jack the car up, slide jackstands under
remove 2 bolts at the front of alt, one at the rear (or vice versa)
pull alt off.

battery is pretty self explanitory when you look at it. hope this helps

EDIT-- take the $60bux you saved and buy a lid from the classifieds if you dont have one
Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Teching In

$60.00 sounds very reasonable. It is a fairly easy job, but for $60.00 why not?
Did the shop test the battery? When an alternator fails, whether its putting out too much or too little charging voltage (or none at all) it can easily take out the battery. If the battery is old, it's probably worth it to change it out regardless.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dre2013
its simple man there are several articles on how to do it. the alternator is only 3 bolts, all you need for it is a ratchet, 13mm+15mm sockets.

Crank the tensioner, remove serpentine belt
jack the car up, slide jackstands under
remove 2 bolts at the front of alt, one at the rear (or vice versa)
pull alt off.

battery is pretty self explanitory when you look at it. hope this helps

EDIT-- take the $60bux you saved and buy a lid from the classifieds if you dont have one
I'll probably try to do it myself, but my car is already at the mechanic shop for the night, lol. It would be weird for me to come and tell them to take it off the lift when they could just do it real quick. Maybe I'll just tell them to keep it up and let me do it, lol.

Also, what exactly is a lid? I keep hearing this. My car has a K&N filter on it now. When you open the hood, you see the open K&N right there. Does this mean i already have a lid, or what? I mean, doesn't the K&N replace it or something? I looked it up online and the K&N's are actually expensive...
Old 08-17-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLS1Formula
I'll probably try to do it myself, but my car is already at the mechanic shop for the night, lol. It would be weird for me to come and tell them to take it off the lift when they could just do it real quick. Maybe I'll just tell them to keep it up and let me do it, lol.

Also, what exactly is a lid? I keep hearing this. My car has a K&N filter on it now. When you open the hood, you see the open K&N right there. Does this mean i already have a lid, or what? I mean, doesn't the K&N replace it or something? I looked it up online and the K&N's are actually expensive...
you have the K&N FIPK. just stick with it
Old 08-17-2009, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, it seems to be fine with me...Not sure what other little things i can do, but i think i'm just going to save for real mods. LT headers, procharger, drag radials, gear, tune. I should be good to go with these things...

Although, what's a good cam for the stock heads? I figure i can throw a cam in for cheap and make some power? Am i wrong? If i choose to do cam only and keep the heads stock for a while, what should i go with?
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the car is already there may as well have them do it. $60 isn't a bad price at all to do it

However, if the car was at your house, I'd recommend just doing it yourself. They are very easy to swap in these cars
Old 08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Strahley
If the car is already there may as well have them do it. $60 isn't a bad price at all to do it

However, if the car was at your house, I'd recommend just doing it yourself. They are very easy to swap in these cars
Alright, i'll just do that...

Do you know anything about getting a cam? I see you had a cammed LS1. (Maybe still do) Is it wise to throw in a cam without doing the heads? Will you make some extra power? I've seen videos of cam only LS1's and they seem to run well...

I just don't know what cam to go with...My car is for everyday driving, so i don't want something that will make the car unreliable, or drivable, lol. But, i would like it to sound good...
Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Regular

theres literally thousands of threads talking about cam set ups. try search, talk to some sponsors, and figure out what you want.

but to answer your question you can definitely put a cam in without doing the heads.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
12 Second Club

cam, full exhaust, 400whp daily... done

just dont go too big
Old 08-18-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

$60 ain't bad at all. at a dealer they'll probably charge you about an hours labor, which could range from $70-$100 depending where you live