Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 intake or BBK intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 intake or BBK intake

How is the BBK intake compared to the LS6 intake. Is it worth it besides looks?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:30 AM
Launching!

this question is asked almost every week and although almost everyone will say the ls6 is better(less weight, no heat soak, etc.), nobody ever steps up and does an apples to apples before and after dyno test for both. imo i don't mind the extra couple pounds, and since i don't live in the desert and i hardly ever take my car to the track, i don't mind the heat soak either. don't get me wrong, the ls6 is a good intake and i think its prolly better in the long run, but i got a good deal on my bbk and i like the looks of it alot more. just my .02
Old 08-18-2009, 02:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll hear everyone bitch about heat soak with the BBK. But most of them have no real personal experience with it. I have the BBK and lived in Phoenix for 2 years with it, with 115+ degree heat and have NO problems with it... car ran great even in that heat! LS6 is a good intake, but the BBK has options for porting, and is stronger if you plan on using nitrous. Metal intake manifolds have been in use for a LONG time and are still currently in use on top fuel drag cars, so don't let the "heat soak" thing scare you away. Take it from someone who has experience with the intake.

few pics for ya

Last edited by Soul TKR; 08-18-2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:23 AM
10 Second Club

You could put a killer hidden direct port in that thing.

I am a firm believer in being cheap LOL If there is a 5hp difference between the two, then go with whatever is the best deal. If you already have an LS6, don't waste your money unless you just want a nice looking intake.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

i don't think it's a waste of money to go from an ls6 to the bbk, it a jump from 78-85mm. there's more options/possibilities with that. i actually just bought a used one off ebay for 260. i wanted to jump from stock 75mm to the full 85mm setup, i can't afford any kind of 90mm+ setup, FAST or not. plus i'm working on a TNT kit so the bbk will help.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soul tkr
you'll hear everyone bitch about heat soak with the bbk. But most of them have no real personal experience with it. I have the bbk and lived in phoenix for 2 years with it, with 115+ degree heat and have no problems with it... Car ran great even in that heat! Ls6 is a good intake, but the bbk has options for porting, and is stronger if you plan on using nitrous. Metal intake manifolds have been in use for a long time and are still currently in use on top fuel drag cars, so don't let the "heat soak" thing scare you away. Take it from someone who has experience with the intake.

good info!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Search function...there tons of info...they perform similar...bbk if you want a non stock look.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

"Metal intake manifolds have been in use for a LONG time and are still currently in use on top fuel drag cars, so don't let the "heat soak" thing scare you away".

Just a FYI for ya bro ... the only thing that a top fuel engine and a LS1 have in common is that they both have 8 cylinders ... ..... Come on now think about what you said you know better than that ... We can tell you love your intake and that is all well and good....but I bet there isnt more than 3-5 HP difference between the two intakes....nobody has done any side by side testing because they both run out of breath around 6300-6500 rpm anyway...both are fine on smaller cubic inch engines .... but if your going to go to a 400 + cubic inch engine there are much better choices out there ... if you have a BBK or find a good deal on one buy it other wise if you have a LS6 it is not worth the money to swap it out for the metal intake unless you like the looks of the BBK.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:31 AM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

/\ - Agreed.

Just because it works on top fuel dragsters, means it should work good in a street car? Right. lol

I personally wouldn't ever use, or recommend using a metal intake on these engines. That's one of the advantages LS motors have always had over the LT motors, they don't heak soak and lose power as easily.........which has a lot to do with the intakes.

If you drag race your car, ice down the intake between laps, like the looks, and feel like you're going to gain something by porting it then the BBK might be for you. If you're driving a street car that see's mostly road use, stick to a plastic intake.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

has nothing to do with me "loving my intake". It's defending it from false representation from guys who have no experience with it. Answer me this... Do either of you have a BBK or metal intake?

2nd, I agree, if you ALREADY HAVE an LS6 then of course it's not worth it to throw the extra money at another intake unless you go F.A.S.T. but this guy NEVER said he had an LS6 intake. He asked how they compare...

and don't say "come-on, think before you talk" "8 cylinders if all they have in common"... take a trip to the drag strip, check out the manifolds on pretty much any car running less than 9s. Let me know what material it's made out of

I NEVER said the LS6 was a piece of crap. I just know half the members on here jumped on the bandwagon at some point in time and act like the supposed venue of heat soak is the end of the world. When in fact it's not even an issue with intake manifolds for the LS engines...

here's a good article for you to check out... it compares the LS1/BBK. If it's too small in firefox hit Ctrl(+)+ or - to zoom in/out

Last edited by Soul TKR; 08-19-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dude relax ... I got one word for ya...DECAFE....please don't preach anything about drag strips and going fast in the quarter mile to me .... I set NHRA national records before you were born...your the one who made the rediculous statement about top fuel engines ... not me...I never said anything against your BBK intake that you obviously have deep feelings for .. my post was pretty clear and I did not bash your precious intake so relax ... now if you do go to the drag strip you will see many racers applying ice to their metal intakes between rounds...where having a cooler air/fuel charge can make more HP ... that is a known fact and as to top fuelers they do not worry about it they already have more HP than they can use...it is all about applying the HP to the track in their case and they are trying to keep that 8000 HP bomb in one piece ... PEACE .. .

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
has nothing to do with me "loving my intake". It's defending it from false representation from guys who have no experience with it. Answer me this... Do either of you have a BBK or metal intake?

2nd, I agree, if you ALREADY HAVE an LS6 then of course it's not worth it to throw the extra money at another intake unless you go F.A.S.T. but this guy NEVER said he had an LS6 intake. He asked how they compare...

and don't say "come-on, think before you talk" "8 cylinders if all they have in common"... take a trip to the drag strip, check out the manifolds on pretty much any car running less than 9s. Let me know what material it's made out of

I NEVER said the LS6 was a piece of crap. I just know half the members on here jumped on the bandwagon at some point in time and act like the supposed venue of heat soak is the end of the world. When in fact it's not even an issue with intake manifolds for the LS engines...

here's a good article for you to check out... it compares the LS6/BBK. If it's too small in firefox hit Ctrl(+)+ or - to zoom in/out

Old 08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i had for a bout yr. a vic jr./elbow and didnt notice anything wrong with perf. heat soak was not really an issue, also owned a lpe before that, it was warm to the touch, during normal driving,
and it wasnt glowing after any hard runs or anything. lol
the ls6 is lighter, will keep way cooler, than metal. obviously.
the metal will have that bling factor, and can be ported, and machined for direct port if need.
i for one have no probs. with the aluminum intakes. and my project car is using a metal super vic.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

I think id just get the LS6, for only 5 hp its not really worth it...if you already have the LS6 intake.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

i've had both and they are both very nice pieces....now the typhoon on the other hand....we wont even go there. As far as heat soak is concerned, there are too many retards out there on forums that believe everything they read. Take a temp gun to your plastic intake after an hour of driving, and compare it to the bbk....if you have an ls6, dont waste your money upgrading to the bbk unless your going to run a bunch of nitrous and are worried about a backfire. if you have an ls1 intake and your going to upgrade, i wouldn't hesitate to install a bbk on one of my motors.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Banned

I was looking at both of these manifolds for a boosted application. My original thinking was the plastic manifolds wouldn't hold the pressure. After talking and reading it sounds like the heads would lift before I would have a problem with the ls6 manifold so I'm leaning more towards it now.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Guys that talk about heat soak and say that they can't feel it are driving street cars .... they will never feel the time we are talking about...they have never been NHRA class racing where you fight for every 1/100 of a second...apply ice to your intake between rounds and it will lower your ET from 5/100 to as much as 1/10 of a second...so unless your are involved in racing where every 1/100 of a second counts you will never know the difference..like I said before there is very little difference HP wise between the two .... run what you like and feel good about it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey slt200mph, thanks for posting that article. Can you make it a downloadable PDF so I can read it?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Let's rekindle the Typhoon intake saga/debate, that's entertainment.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Dude relax ... I got one word for ya...DECAFE....please don't preach anything about drag strips and going fast in the quarter mile to me .... I set NHRA national records before you were born...your the one who made the rediculous statement about top fuel engines ... not me...I never said anything against your BBK intake that you obviously have deep feelings for .. my post was pretty clear and I did not bash your precious intake so relax ... now if you do go to the drag strip you will see many racers applying ice to their metal intakes between rounds...where having a cooler air/fuel charge can make more HP ... that is a known fact and as to top fuelers they do not worry about it they already have more HP than they can use...it is all about applying the HP to the track in their case and they are trying to keep that 8000 HP bomb in one piece ... PEACE .. .
dude whatever... I don't know why you insist on focusing on "my precious intake". Seems to me your more stuck on that then you say I am

and I'm glad you set NHRA drag records, good for you, because that's exactly what this guy is looking for.... an NHRA car. If you read his first post, he even mentioned it. So I guess you should run this forum and be the "go to guy" for everyone since you know so much. I mean, apparently your age is very important for you to bring it up. I mean even your maturity level about "my precious intake" matches your age of.... well.... DIRT

you even just said above yourself that for street cars you won't even feel heatsoak. So, am I missing your argument here or what?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Hey slt200mph, thanks for posting that article. Can you make it a downloadable PDF so I can read it?

Thanks!
I posted it and you can see it here... and I stand corrected, it's the LS1 vs. BBK. But still a good read...

Quick Reply: LS6 intake or BBK intake