Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Mouth VS Hooker

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Mouth VS Hooker

I wnat to get ned exhaust because i wan tto hear the car more at lower rpms....im wondering which exhaust is going to gve me the sound and most power for around 400.......i really dont want to spend much more that 400ish if possible.....any opinions on loud mouth lps or hooker.....any other suggestions?
thanks
-TROY
Old 11-24-2003, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I know where you can get the Hooker Catbacks for a very descent price. PM me for details.

I think the hookers sound pretty good and if you are still running cats and stock manifolds there will be no rasp...

Thanks
Josh
Old 11-24-2003, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02WSIX
I wnat to get ned exhaust because i wan tto hear the car more at lower rpms....im wondering which exhaust is going to gve me the sound and most power for around 400.......i really dont want to spend much more that 400ish if possible.....any opinions on loud mouth lps or hooker.....any other suggestions?
thanks
-TROY
Same thing I am kind of curious about, more sound at lower speeds, I just posted a question on the SLP LM if anyone had exhaust clips of it, with the cats still on, so maybe somebody on here will have a clip we can hear.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NO CATZZ
I know where you can get the Hooker Catbacks for a very descent price. PM me for details.

I think the hookers sound pretty good and if you are still running cats and stock manifolds there will be no rasp...

Thanks
Josh
Sorry to sound ignorant here but what is rasp exactly? I hear everyone on this board using that term, but what exactly are people talking about?
Old 11-24-2003, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by White2000Z28
Sorry to sound ignorant here but what is rasp exactly? I hear everyone on this board using that term, but what exactly are people talking about?
I have heard that the SLP LM sounds a little raspy with headers but i dont think that im going to get headers anytime soon.....I would just be interested in what the HP gain difference is between Hooker and LM
-TROY
Old 11-24-2003, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the hooker catback.

It has a pleasing sound with little/no rasp with stock manifolds and cats and it sounds decent at WOT, but beware: it is very quiet at idle and low rpm's. As in near stock quiet. If you're looking for something louder at low rpms, you will be disappointed unless you get LT's or !cats.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

the hooker system is a very good system but ......best bang for the buck is loudmouth. It is an easy install and sounds alot better then the hooker cat back (when you still have cats). I don't think the hooker is stainless steel. The loudmouth is. My girl friend has the loudmouth exhaust and it souds great......My friend has the hooker only because it came with it when he bought the car and it sound good only ON HIGH RPM (WOT). He wants to get a loudmouth bad. When you decied on which system call larry or tom at speed inc they hook it up.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the Loudmouth and it's a deep muscular sound you hear all the time, even at idle. As for the rasp, anyone who says the Loudmouth is raspy is high. I've had it with headers,and that IS raspy. It's hard to explain what rasp sounds like, it's like this high pitched metallic slapping sound. Think 74 Ford truck with straight pipes.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ShadowLightCSU
I have the Loudmouth and it's a deep muscular sound you hear all the time, even at idle. As for the rasp, anyone who says the Loudmouth is raspy is high. I've had it with headers,and that IS raspy. It's hard to explain what rasp sounds like, it's like this high pitched metallic slapping sound. Think 74 Ford truck with straight pipes.
Hi, well I guess I am different because I think I like the rasp if it's what I am thinking of, how you described it there, I never new what people were talking about, I don't have it now since I put on this SLP y-pipe with my Magnaflow, but before I had the y-pipe put on and I would get on it, I think it did what you described and sounded raspy but I actually liked it better that way than it is now and does not do that, but thanks for describing it.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:17 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

consider magnaflows too, that can be had for 350 or so. my clip in sig.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loudmouth is awesome, until you get headers. It seems like the car is louder at 2500 rpms than 6000 rpms. It sorta sounds like the air is tearing. I drove my car the first time like that, and when it did it I was looking around like WTF was that. Overall if you don't plan on modding the car much the Loudmouth is awesome. After that it can be difficult to live with.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Hooker catback IMO is the classic muscle car sound. Deep and throaty at idle, screams at WOT, and there's no rasp and no drone. It's priced perfectly too.

I have one in my garage minus the I-pipe that I will give away for FREE but I won't ship it.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

Lightbulb

I've had both. Hooker is definitely quiet (close to stock) at idle/low rpms. Basically in around town driving it will be pretty tame, WOT screams.

I'm currently running an SLP Y-pipe/Loudmouth combo with a dynomax bullet swapped in place of the LM's resonator (aka Dynomouth). Sound is VERY deep across the range (minus idle and parking lot speeds) and will start to get pretty loud at around 1800rpms.

The Hooker flows pretty good for a traditional crossflow set-up but the Loudmouth is probably the best FLOWING system out there (nearly. 2200cfm) as it is basically a glorified cut-out.

Definitely go for a Loudmouth
Old 11-28-2003, 02:06 AM
On The Tree

i have dynomouth too and i love it, and best of all is it only cost me $150 installed, it sounds mean as hell. when i first drove my car with it i just thought to myself "this cant be my car!" just get dynomouth and you wont be disappointed