Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cats with non-emission headers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cats with non-emission headers?

So, I plan on getting non-emission LT's, when I go to do my TD setup on the T/A sometime soon, and I was wondering. I want to run cats, so I won't get a steep fine if a cop ever checks, and to also cut down on a little rasp, and quiet it down a little. I'm going to run Magnaflow high-flow spun cats. Would I be able to run them without the emissions stuff? I want to clean up the engine bay when getting the headers (remove all the emissions crap). But, I've heard that the air pump helps to keep your cats from getting clogged. I'm not exactly sure on that one, but it's what I've heard. So, I figured I'd ask if I'd run into any problems running high-flow cats without the emissions equipment.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, you dont need any of the emmisions stuff under the hood for cats. i just see them as a way to quiet things down really. My car doesnt have them, but my wifes does. Neither have AIR or EGR fittings on the headers.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Alright. Thanks for the info man. I just didn't want to take the chance of ruining some cats that are going to cost nearly $100 a piece, because I don't have a stupid AIR pump on the car. Also, while I have a thread in here, what's everyone think of Jethot LT's? I've heard that Jethot's coating is top notch, and the price is pretty enticing too, at $499 shipped from the WS6store. I just wasn't sure if there were any fitment issues with their headers, or if they didn't perform as well as others.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
Alright. Thanks for the info man. I just didn't want to take the chance of ruining some cats that are going to cost nearly $100 a piece, because I don't have a stupid AIR pump on the car. Also, while I have a thread in here, what's everyone think of Jethot LT's? I've heard that Jethot's coating is top notch, and the price is pretty enticing too, at $499 shipped from the WS6store. I just wasn't sure if there were any fitment issues with their headers, or if they didn't perform as well as others.
I've installed three sets of Jet Hot LT's on three different cars. I can't say how well they perform compared to other LT's because they are the only brand I have any experience with. (I got each set from the WS6Store last winter while they were on sale.) But I definitely noticed an increase in performance with the Seat-of-the-Pants Dyno. As for fitment, they are great. Once you get the car high enough they slide right into place. I'm still undecided on my opinion of the coating. They look great, but the first set I helped to install on a friends 98 Z28 are already showing some surface rust after only a little over a 1000 miles. And mine, I made the mistake of washing my engine bay at the carwash with the "engine degreaser" while the exhaust was still hot. The degreaser baked to the headers, so now they have lost their shiny and look more like the dull finish of stainless steel. They are showing a very smalll amount of surface rust as well. These headers are my first dealing with Jet Hot, so the surface rust maybe normal. As long as it doesn't get any worse, I'm able to live with it, but I was kinda hoping the coating would help protect against corrosion and keep them looking nice long enough to let me save up for some ARH.
Old 08-25-2009, 02:19 AM
TECH Addict

Good to know. I'm also considering stainless headers, but we'll just have to see how much money I have to play with after I get the Camaro sold.

Also, a little off-topic, but where in SouthEastern Iowa are you from, Mumbles? I'm only about 20 minutes from Burlington, and was actually over there at a Bees game earlier tonight.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tspence45
Also, a little off-topic, but where in SouthEastern Iowa are you from, Mumbles? I'm only about 20 minutes from Burlington, and was actually over there at a Bees game earlier tonight.
I live in a little town called North English. Its about 30 or so miles southwest of Iowa City. It's definitely a bit of a drive from Burlington, let alone Monmouth.

BTW, very nice looking T/A. What kind of wheels are those in your signature picture? They almost look like Fikse?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

i had those in my car when i had my tds and one of them disintegrated lol
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...spun-cats.html
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I live in a little town called North English. Its about 30 or so miles southwest of Iowa City. It's definitely a bit of a drive from Burlington, let alone Monmouth.

BTW, very nice looking T/A. What kind of wheels are those in your signature picture? They almost look like Fikse?
Oh, that is quite a drive from here.

Thanks man. The wheels are OEWheels deep dish machined face/black vent C5 Y2k's, in 18x10.5 on all 4 corners.

Quick Reply: Cats with non-emission headers?