Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone done this -Borla XR1 Oval in I-pipe. Will it fit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Anyone done this -Borla XR1 Oval in I-pipe. Will it fit?

I have the loudmouth and I am going to put a Borla XR1 muffler in place of the resonator. I can get a round XR1 which is 5" in diameter and 15" long which I know will fit but I want to get the XR1 oval which is 4.5" high, 7" wide and 16" long which looks like it might hit the underbody or torque arm. From looking under it from the back it would look like it would fit but fitting it on there and then it shaking is another. It looks like I might have to place it further back towards the rear-end before it goes over the axle but thats fine as long as it doesn't drag or bang the underbody. Anyone tried this yet?
Old 11-25-2003, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I have found to work well for this type of thing is to get some cardboard and duct tape. Cut rectangles of cardboard and tape together a "box" that is the same size as the muffler. Obviously you're talking about an oval muffler, but you should be able to get a general idea with this method.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I might have to try that. A little time consuming but better than wasting my time and spending $20 on shipping and handling when I have to ship it back. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ask Crager (mod. in Texas sec.) I am almost positive he has that setup (Loudmouth w/Borla xr1 in place of resonator).
Old 11-27-2003, 07:35 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Yes I have the "Borla-Mouth." It will fit just fine. I got the 3-1/2" one and the floorboard had to be bumped in a little bit.

Here is a pic of it installed:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...64997310bKkwgf

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:25 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the setup you are talking about, except I got the XR1 Offset muffler so both the inlet and outlet would be on the same side. The offset muffler is the same size and shape as the XR1 oval mufflers. You could fit it on there with some creative hammer work making dents in the right places, but I took a different approach to maximize ground clearance. I cut a hole in the floor pan for the muffler, then built a box over the hole with 16 gauge sheet metal. I used cardboard to design the box, then transfered the pattern to the 16 gauge sheet metal. I used a MIG welder to attach the box to the floor pan. It doesn't bang the floorboards or scrape the ground at all. It was a bit of work, but I love the results!

Last edited by Cal; 11-27-2003 at 11:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! Cal, why would you go through all that when you could have ordered the 5" round one? I know the Ovals are supposed to be more quiet but only by 1 or 2 db's, at least that is what one of the Borla Tech's told me. I was going to order the 3" in/out round XR1 part #40085 but I just talked to Crager and he has the 3.5" round XR1. Now I'm just confused because he has the LM as well and it is a 3". I'll have to email him about that.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:00 AM
On The Tree

there is a guy on ls1.com that goes by wildbillws6 that has that on his trans am, might send him a pm and see what he has to say. hope i helped a little, kyle
Old 11-28-2003, 03:19 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by SStolen
I was going to order the 3" in/out round XR1 part #40085 but I just talked to Crager and he has the 3.5" round XR1. Now I'm just confused because he has the LM as well and it is a 3". I'll have to email him about that.
I had MTI build me a 3" y-pipe and I was going to try and put a 3-1/2" cut-out before the XR1, so I bought a 3-1/2" XR1 round (#40086) to mate up to the 3-1/2" cut-out. Well there was no room for the cut-out becuase the y-pipe was sooo freaking long. Well I didn't want to wait for the 3" XR1 to be shipped and I was guessing that Jegs would charge me a restock fee on the 3-1/2". So MTI installed the 3-1/2" and Mike at MTI said he had to beat the floorpan in a little for it to fit. He painted the floorpan after the beating it, and you can't really tell he did that. He has one on his Z28 and he said it was not a problem with his 3" to fit, I don't know why because the outer dia. of them are the same.

Peace,
Craig.

Here is a dirty up close pic:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone done this -Borla XR1 Oval in I-pipe. Will it fit?-borlaxr101a.jpg