Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust Setup - 4" FM Merge, 4" Cutout, 4" DMH

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New exhaust Setup - 4" FM Merge, 4" Cutout, 4" DMH

Well I finally gathered up the money to change up my exhaust. I had the shop put in a 3"-4" Flowmaster merge, 4" cutout y-pipe, 4" DMH electric cutout, 4" turndown, 4"-3" reducer to back to the SLP Dual/Dual. I previously had a v-band clamp installed right before the over the axle pipe for easy removal so I had the shop band clamp the merge to the y-pipe so I can just drop the i-pipe section out for easy removal. I didn't really lose much ground clearance from before, not that I really had any with the eibach springs, haha!

My car sounds like a COMPLETELY different car though. The rasp is pretty much none existent and the car is a little quieter with the cutout closed. But with it open boy does is sound bad ***! It's fun driving with it open and then closing it because my car doesn't even sound like it's running comparatively. This is probably one of the best mods I have ever had done! Here's some pictures. Video in post 4. (Sorry for the crappy cell pics, it was the only camera I had with me at the shop.)

Last edited by 2SLO4ME; 08-27-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Launching!

The guy in the picture looks like he just seen a ghost...lol...or maybe never seen a camera phone...

What headers do you have....did you use the existing y pipe and just add the flowmaster merge and what brand cut out did you go with?

Clearance looks good. I am planning to do the same thing whenever I get my car back together.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see pics of the actual SLP Dual Dual. From the pics it looks like you have a 4" over the axle pipe too, not the 3" SLP pipe. I just got my used SLP DD and I planned to have the Flowmaster 4" merge and a DHM cutout also. Do you have some sound clips? You have the very same exhaust I have planned to have but the cutout and over-axle pipe looks a bit low but that may be because its 4".
Old 08-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

The camera I used was just a point and shoot so the sound isn't the best qaulity. I couldn't find the video camera. I'll get a better video tomorrow with the real camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QK0iRwo-Mw

Originally Posted by SLOW30th-TA
The guy in the picture looks like he just seen a ghost...lol...or maybe never seen a camera phone...

What headers do you have....did you use the existing y pipe and just add the flowmaster merge and what brand cut out did you go with?

Clearance looks good. I am planning to do the same thing whenever I get my car back together.
I caught him in deep thought, haha! I have Hooker Headers. He just cut the y-merge on my ORY and bent some new pieces up to meet with the FM merge. The cutout is a Race Ready cutout which I don't recommend getting it you have a DMH cut out because the bolt holes didn't line. That didn't affect me because it was easy to elongate the holes.

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I don't see pics of the actual SLP Dual Dual. From the pics it looks like you have a 4" over the axle pipe too, not the 3" SLP pipe. I just got my used SLP DD and I planned to have the Flowmaster 4" merge and a DHM cutout also. Do you have some sound clips? You have the very same exhaust I have planned to have but the cutout and over-axle pipe looks a bit low but that may be because its 4".
The SLP Dual/Dual was on there before that's why I didn't take any shots. The over the axle is only 3", a new piece was bent to meet back up with the V-Band clamp that I had put on months ago.

The over the axle pipe could probably be tucked up a little higher but it was lower before this and I never hit it. I am also lowered 2" all around though.

Last edited by 2SLO4ME; 08-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How loud is it with the cam? I need better quality sound,lol

I have pretty much the same set-up sanas a cutout.

I am afraid the DD is going to be too quiet (haven't installed it yet.)

I was thinking about selling it and going 4in Magnaflow or Spintech
Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have read that the SpinTech is very restrictive. I am getting mixed thoughts and videos about the Dual Dual. Some of the videos i have seen with O/R y-pipe and H/C are fairly quiet while others are fairly aggressive, wonder why? I haven't installed mine yet but it came off a car with like 100k so maybe it will be on the louder end of the spectrum.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Launching!

With the cam, headers, ORY the DD has a good tone and is definitely louder than a stock exhaust. I think this a great setup, mildly quiet with the cutout closed and loud as hell with the cutout open. Best of both worlds for me.

P.S.: Found the video camera so I'll get a new video up today!
Old 08-28-2009, 01:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default exhaust

I did something similar recently and I wonder if you have any track numbers back to back. I gained nothing doing this on my car running low 10's.

I switched from a Kooks catted Y with the stock Magnaflow I pipe back to the Magnaflow cat back to a 3" to 3.5" Flowmaster merge into a 3.5" I pipe with a QTP 3.5" cut out pipe and DMH 3.5" electric cutout and then a 3.5" to 3" reducer into the stock over the axle Magnaflow pipe and back out the dual/dual Magnaflow.

I ran 10.43, 10.44, 10.45 several weeks back at 2800' DA with the Kooks catted Y and the stock Magnaflow I pipe and cat back.

Ran Tuesday night with the NEW exhaust, FM merge and 3.5" I pipe and Magnaflow catback went 10.47 similar DA

Next pass opened the cut out and ran 10.43.

IMO, waste of money and time, plus I liked it quieter, my personal preference, more of a sleeper.

Here are some pics.

Removed this out of a Kooks ORY.

Added the FM merge.

Old 08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching!

No unfortuantely I don't have any track numbers back to back. It's been raining here in Michigan a lot lately so the track has been closed on test and tune nights.

As far as you not getting any gains, that sucks because it wasn't to cheap to gather the parts and have someone install it. The only reason I can think of though for you not gaining anything is that your previous setup must have been pretty damn efficient. My car also got a little quieter with the merge and the rasp is pretty much non existent, so that's a plus for me right there.

I know for a fact that my dual/dual is a restriction because I got it dyno tested I unhooked the v-band clamp and kind of pulled it out of the way as much as I could and gained 10+rwhp. The car definitely pulls much harder all the way through the rpm band so I know it's helping. Before this setup I could feel the power leveling off when I got past 6000 rpms when I was at the track, now it's just smooth all the way to 6800 rpms.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats sweet. I've got a similar setup, only no cutout. I've often thought about doing just that.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Staging Lane

yea that's a nice looking exhaust setup forsure
Old 08-29-2009, 12:05 PM
dug
Banned

cant wait for the sound clip. Can you run ls1 headers on ls3's?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Very nice exhaust. Who's DSL is that? I haven't seen one quite like that before. I think I will need one like it.

Quick Reply: New exhaust Setup - 4" FM Merge, 4" Cutout, 4" DMH