Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: which exhaust will give me the best sound
Flowmaster 80 series
15.00%
Slp Loud Mouth
35.00%
Magnaflow
46.67%
Dynomax
5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Flowmasters vs. SLP LM vs. Magnaflow -PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Flowmasters vs. SLP LM vs. Magnaflow -PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE

Okay so i just bought a '98 TRANS AM a couple days ago, finally stepping it up to something with a V8 under the hood. i just registered here on LS1TECH but i've been coming to the site for the past couple years or so looking for diffrerent info on my '99 camaro, its a V6 ( which is why i never registered).

But anyways, i just got my TRANS AM and im looking to get the exhaust done to give it a nice, loud and aggressive rumble. i have a flowmaster exhaust on my camaro, and though its a V6, i'm pretty happy with the way it sounds.

So with experience with flowmasters i am natually inclined to go with them again, but i have heard a lot of negative reviews of flowmasters here on the site, but these bad reviews mainly seem to be related to performance than anything else.

So i need some help picking an exhaust system. My MAIN GOAL is a loud, deep, sound, not particularly best perfomance wise, and my SECOND GOAL- something i CAN afford- i dont really want to go over $500
-the shop where i went last time will install the Flowmaster 80 series for around $350.
-if i get the SLP Loud Mouth it will run right at about $400 from afterthoughts auto + installation.
- and i have to check prices for Dynomax and MAgnaflow.

Please give me some advice in deciding which will give me the best sound within this price range. and please dont really tell me about any other mods, because i dont plan on doing anything else right now, seeing as i go back to college in a few days and i dont have money to keep putting in to it right now. i'll get into more things in the future.

THANKS in advance- james
Old 08-28-2009, 02:16 AM
TECH Veteran

In addition to your choice, please give reasons as well. thanks again
Old 08-28-2009, 02:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Outta the list, I would go Magnaflow due to performance and stainless steel. But by your description, it sounds like you need SLP LM to satisfy your needs. They are loud and raspy. The Flowmasters would be the next alternative, as they are somewhat loud and have a deeper tone to them. But they are not stainless, and the baffles in them can be blown which makes for an annoying sound.

Also, $350 for 80 series installed is a bit much compared to prices in my area. Good luck with your ride!!!

Last edited by BlackHawk256; 08-28-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

If you are keeping stock exhaust from cats forward, I would say loudmouth hands down. Quality is superb, sounds very nice IMHO and I get lots of complements and questions about what I'm running for exhaust. HOWEVER, if headers and ORY are in your future, I retract my endorsement as that will have a dramatic effect on the sound, and I've heard (although not actually experienced) that it be somewhat raspy and annoying.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had both exhaust you have mentioned. i ran the slp loudmouth and now currently magnaflow. honestly, the magnaflow is maybe a better quality product because its stainless steel. but i think for performance and sound i would go with loudmouth.

do u plan on adding longtube headers? because the loudmouth sounds great and mean. but once you add longtubes it becomes beyond loud and obnoxious.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i said the loudmouth, but i would recommend the TSP Rumbler. BAsically the LM1 with a Dynomax Bullet for under 300 bucks. And if your shop is going to install the 80 series for 350, you need to find a new shop. I got my 80 series for a little over 100 and got it installed for 25
Old 08-28-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love my LM1 exhaust. Think it sounds great, but it's for people that like loud cars. And i don't have the rasp that people always talk about, but then again, i do still have my cats so i'd say that helps.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

LM is too loud..other 2 are too quiet...I like the FLOWMASTER sound the best...people say u give up a few hp's, but that would be above 5500rpm or so ONLY.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say some how get a 10 series flow in there but if not manga beacuse it wont to way to loud with lt's in the future and is stainless
Old 08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE ADVICE AND RECOMMONDATIONS SO FAR. it's really helping me out a lot.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

My vote is for SLP but not the one you have listed. I would go with the Powerflo. No rasp and a nice deep sound. Check out my clips on youtube under "detoxx03".
Old 08-28-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SLP's Loudmouth is great with factory manifolds or longtube headers. It is stainless steel just like the Maganflow and both are in the same price range as well. Should you decide to go with the LM and eventually do want LT's, your exhaust will definitely be louder. But if you go with a catted Y-pipe instead of the very popular ORY matched to your headers it results in a very aggressive sounding exhaust that may be too loud for some, but to me sounds awesome. Loudmouth gets alot of negative comments on here. Don't let that affect your decision. No matter what exhaust you choose, as long as you like it and you can stand to drive your car with it sounding the way it does, that is all that matters. And for that reason, I chose not to vote. The decision is yours, man. Not mine. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Loudmouth gets alot of negative comments on here. Don't let that affect your decision.
I too used to love my lm and had it for over a year and a half but eventually the drone and rasp got annoying. Switched in xr1 muffler but was never totally satisfied until I made the Powerflo conversion. Now I have no rasp and kept the aggressive sound. Any negativity the lm gets is justified. Its cheap for a reason. It sounds great at idle and wot but other than that it sucks.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

go with BORLA EXHAUST cant go wrong with it. everyone i know that has a Borla exhaust says they love the sound. the exhaust is def loud and guarantee you will like it.

Heres some sound clips:

SLP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er0Hca9syd0

Borla: (My Car)

Magnaflow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCENzZMsDE

Flowmaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlzlW6BnmhA
Old 08-28-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the GMMG but the cost is high.

Bill
Old 08-28-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmGp_...er_profilepage

MAGNAFLOW!!!
Old 08-28-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Veteran

thank you. thank you. thank you for all the info. i got about a week or so before i make my decision, so all of this is really helpful. im starting to lean toward SLP.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

to me for the money saving + performance + good sound

1-just a muffler change (hooker , dynomax , magnaflow , edelbrock , borla and many more ... many choices) and you can hear alot in another forum and on youtube I think it`s ls1sound? check in the external section
something like that and stock tips or what ever you like later

+ you can add a manual cut-out or an electric cutout or dual of the both

just a thought since you`re on a budget and looking for great sound ... and a v8 with a performance muffler will be louder than the v6 with the same muffler in general

I have a stock catback with a 3" DMH electric cut-out because of the local police ^_^

loud and noisy and fun when open

now if the shop will fabricate the pipes cheap enough you can buy a normal muffler with a single inlet center or side with a single or dual outlet on the same side and you`ll have it exit on the driver side of the car and you have many many many options ^_^ many are cheap too just imagine being able to put almost anybrand and you`ll have a unique
sound .... like flowmaster super 40 of what ever you choose

hope it helps
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
all thats a good example of is the driver needs some tires... & hes a quick ************ i didnt even see him get in his car!
Old 08-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

I've went through a stock muffler, a flowmaster, and a cutout and now I have a Loudmouth 1 with which I'm pretty satisfied. The flowmaster sounded good but just wasnt loud enough, it didnt get attention, turn heads, or receive compliments on the sound. The cutout did all of the above but it got to be annoying with the drone. Switched to the loudmouth and paired it with the SLP powerflo Y pipe and it sounds amazing. I turn heads all the time, get all sorts of compliments on how sexy it sounds, its just a plain mean sound. And you can forget about it at WOT, you wont find a nastier sound. My reccomendation is obviously the Loudmouth, but if your'e going for budget the cutout is a good option. As far as the flowmaster and magnaflow, you probably wont be satisfied with the loudness. In my opinion the magnaflow tips dont go well with the camaro.

Quick Reply: Flowmasters vs. SLP LM vs. Magnaflow -PLEASE HELP ME DECIDE