Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

headers and ls6 intake,now a vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default headers and ls6 intake,now a vacuum leak?

I am almost positive i didnt miss and hoses or electrical connections.i checked everything about 4 or 5 times before i started it.When you go down the road it hangs up at 2000rpm until you come to a complete stop and even then it takes it a couple of seconds to come back down.would this be a vacuum leak or could it be something in the tune?or the fact that its just straight headers?i torqued all the intake bolts down to 89 in/lb and in the proper sequence and used brand new gaskets.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I would say tune. I have had several vacuum leaks, small and big. Small ones will idle a tid bit rough and eventually throw a code for lean/rich condition on both banks. Big leaks will cause insanely rough idle. Like it will sound cammed and run like poop. I'm going to say you need a tune as long as it idles smooth. But check the brake booster hose and the PCV system, those seem to be popular places to develop leaks. Hope that helps!
Old 09-04-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya know it kinda does sound like its got a bit of a cam.but thats probly because the tunes off and i drove it on straight headers.the brake booster line was good and i re did the pcv system with a catch can.and yes i kept it sealed.im going to borrow a tool from a friend tomorrow that you hook into a line while its not running and it pulls vacuum while the engine is off so you can hear it
Old 09-05-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Poke around ls1sounds.com and see what straight headers sound like. It still idles smooth, it is just a different sound. I have LTs, ORY, and a Borla XR-1 and it still idles smooth as glass. If it has any cam-like noise, it is probably a vacuum leak. Good luck!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the idle is sticking high and then coming down try cleaning your throttle body it might be sticking. I had this problem for a while but got better over time as i drove it.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nomadnate
If the idle is sticking high and then coming down try cleaning your throttle body it might be sticking. I had this problem for a while but got better over time as i drove it.
I did notice the throttlebody was a dirty.I know one thing, i sure am glad i have another car to drive.this thing is obnoxiously loud with open headers.im taking it to the exhaust shop today though
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

weird, when i drove open header it never did this but then again i'm an auto . . . i'm thinking vacuum leak because even after i got my true duals on i never got a tune to take the SES light off and i still never had the problem
Old 09-05-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you did the intake as well I'd check the throttle cable, make sure its not binding up on something. Check it visually and have someone operate the pedal from inside the car and make sure its closing all the way and smoothly.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Regular

If it is dirty, just remove the throttle body and put it in a bucket of gasoline or carb cleaner. Should break down most of the nasty. Then wipe it off real good with a clean cloth. If it still sticks, put a SMALL shot of WD40 in the spring closer to the throttle body. Don't spray it in the inside of the throttle.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

The throttle operates smoothly.Ive checked that.i cleaned the throttle body with pb blaster and it still does it.ive pretty much narrowed it down to a vacuum leak.i borrowed a manual vacuum pump so im going to hook it up sometime and see if i can hear a leak.

Also i was wanting to remove the cruise control because it doesnt work anyway.if i were to do this which cable do i hook up to the throttlebody?
Old 09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Cruise control is usually a fuse. It doesn't usually 'break'. I wouldn't remove it. Focus on the vacuum leak for now. If you're dead committed to removing it though, it just clips onto the side of the throttle cam.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"i sure am glad i have another car to drive.this thing is obnoxiously loud with open headers."
How close to the end of the collectors are the O2 sensors?? The idea of it being a vac leak, may be O2 sensors being hit w/ "raw air"...
Suggest you install the exh system and see WTF happens then.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

That also crossed my mind.they are only a couple of inches away from the end of the collector.i am taking it to the shop who is fabbing my exhaust today because they are all going to be there just hanging out and the guy said he would throw it on the lift so he could see what kind of bends to order.im hopin to get the ball rolling on it by the end of next week.the exhaust still needs to be done and it still needs to be tuned before the lsx shootout.if its not done im not going.ill be damned if i had to drive my honduh prelude.