Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom y-pipe with cutout's

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom y-pipe with cutout's

I'm thinking of going LT's and i don't really want to pay $600 for a Y-pipe with electric cutout's if i could take an oryp and put 2 cutout's on it. Has anyone tried this?
Old 11-27-2003, 11:52 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes you can take just about any ORY and put your own cutouts in them. or you can have a custom ORY made and the cutouts welded in, should be a problem and it'll be a hell of a lot less then 600.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool

I did this. I had it off last weekend when I put the TC in and wish now I had taken a pic of it. Took two FlowTech cutouts and a Flowmaster merge collector and had one made at a friend of mine's shop. Also took a pic of the $600 one so he could have an idea of what I wanted. He put the cutouts about 10" to 12" or so back from where it connected to the headers so its a little different from that one. It cost me something like $140 or so total... that’s including the cost of the Flowtechs and merger collector. Keep in mind it was a friend of mine and he worked on it for a few hours making sure everything cleared so I don't know how much it would cost at an exhaust shop to have it done.
So now I have 3" pipe from the Hooker headers all the way to the Corsa catback... plus I added a couple of QTEC's later on.

Word of advice, if you are going to have a y-pipe made and going to/plan on adding electric cutouts make sure you have enough room under the car for everything to clear everything else. Space is limited in some areas. After I decided to put QTEC's on, I had to take the pipe off and move the cutout part about 3/4" back from where it was originally because the QTEC hit on the sub frame connectors. Should have planned ahead a little better and would not of had that little problem.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:14 AM
On The Tree

Yeah man if you get a chance a couple of pictures would be great