Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C Help needed

Does anyone know what runs through the metal hose that bolts with ont 10mm bolt to the top of the A/C condensor, on the passenger side, in front of the radiator? Mine is hissing and when I turn on the A/C it spt out coolant. Any chance I can leave it alone till spring?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

R-134A, you'll lose all of your refrigerant and some of your oil. than your compressor won't run due to the low pressure switch.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

Refrigerant is going bye-bye. Did your battery slam into the line or is this a mod gone bad mishap?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Definately a mmod gone bad, mishap. I did a ASP pulley swap that turned out more expensive than expected, as does everthing I do when I work on this car, lol. Thanks, I swapped the O-ring out under the flange, now I just hope it stops the leak, so I don't waste a recharge.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

I know what you mean. I crimped that top metal condenser line myself on a cam swap. Fortuantely, my extended warranty fixed the mysterious "leak" I developed.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got some kinda problem with my a/c to, I pulled up in front of my friends house one day and gave it a nice 3500 rpm rev... i heard a hisssing sound and pop (not from the engine) but then the engine stalled i popped the hood and there was coolant everwhere, let the car sit, tightened some hoses that i thought where loose ( seems to be none where) but now the car runs fine but my A.C dosnt work, i think the compressor burnt out or something. i bought a new compresser im just waiting to put my headers in and ill do the compressor why im at it. btw when i turn the a/c on u dont even hear the compressor click on so thats how i came to conclusion that it burnt out
Old 12-01-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

01WS6, I have learned that when the A/C leaks out some of the oil comes with it and it looks just like our coolant, orange. As for the compressor not coming on, there is a pressure switch that won't allow it to come on and damage itself with out being under the pressure of freon and oil, which you lost all of your pressure from the leak. Just find and fix the leak and recharge.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Easy way to check you compresor, Un plug the compressor, and get 2 pieces of wire. Hook one to + and one to - and touch them to the terminals on the compressor if it clicks then the compressor is ok (99% of the time) . If not plug it back in and start the car, turn the ac on and pull the low pressure switch plug. Jump the plug with a jumper wire, if the compressor cycles then you are low freon.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default a/c

the part you want is called a high pressure oriface tube. back when i did my headers, the air tube was butted up against the ac tube and rubbed a hole in it. sdpc sells it for around $35. takes 10 minutes or less to replace. then find someone to evacuate and recharge your system. chris
Old 12-02-2003, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks alot guys, i may look into that before i install the new compressor, if thats the case i will get a new low pressure switch and recharge and return the new compressor.